Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Gross Weight of Trailer and C-22

Author Gross Weight of Trailer and C-22
Andy Knudsen
Libertyville, IL

Boat Name: Weekend Pirate

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 2945

Hailing Port: Barnes WI
10/23/2009 1:25 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a good idea of the gross weight of a C-22 with swing keel and factory single axle trainer. I have a 6hp 4-stroke engine and regular compliment of gear.

Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
10/24/2009 10:42 AM Pacific Time

Andy: as we all know, boats weigh different. But I would guess your boat with a 'normal compliment of gear' and a 6 HP motor will weigh in around26-2700 lbs. Although my trailer is not the standard Catalina 22 Trailrite trailer, it is almost identical. It weighs 900 lbs.
so your overall full up weight is around 35-3600 lbs.
thats my guess.

Mike
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/25/2009 1:08 AM Pacific Time

Andy,

Some truck stops have scales that you can use for a weight or if there is not too much harvest activity, take your boat to a local grain elevator and they can give you a weight.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/26/2009 6:20 PM Pacific Time

Just go to your local truck stop. They have drive on scales. Costs around $10.
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Boat Name: Marionette

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

Hailing Port: Pelican Lake, Otter Tail Co. Minn.
11/05/2009 9:38 AM Pacific Time

I weighed my complete rig when I brought it home from the lake and tires were hot. In the process of researching the problem, I took it to the local grain elevator and they weighed it for free. I just drove through the scale and dropped the tongue wheel on the scale, disconnected the truck, which was not on the scale, and stepped off the scale myself. The weight showing on the electronic display was 3500 pounds even. The operator told me there was a 20 lb margin for scale accuracy. The boat was complete with everything I sail with except the boat cushions (usual kind sold in stores) and sails. Motor was laying in the cockpit.

Everything I looked at on the trailer indicates it was built for 3500 pounds max so now I'm considering adding a second axle. Check hubs, tires, rims, coupler for weight limits. The weakest point the the limiting factor.
Jeff Struck
Jeff Struck
Fergus Falls, MN

Boat Name: Marionette

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No. CTYH9278M80B

Hailing Port: Pelican Lake, Otter Tail Co. Minn.
11/23/2010 12:53 PM Pacific Time

I recently weighed the trailer empty and it was 750 lbs. I don't know the brand name although it is registered under the initials SVCxxxxxxxxx.
Tim
Dyer, IN

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/20/2013 7:25 PM Pacific Time

I know it's an old thread, but for future individuals looking for a hopeful answer, I can confirm the earlier reply to this post. The state of Michigan requires a certified weight to register a trailer, and mine looks like it is a factory trailer, and weighed in at 940 LBS.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Gross Weight of Trailer and C-22