Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Running rig length and homemade roller furler

Author Running rig length and homemade roller furler
Steve Marks
Port Charlotte

Boat Name: Saily

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Punta Gorda
02/07/2010 8:23 AM Pacific Time

The boat is set up with cable/line haylards, original I guess. I have everything to run all lines aft. The one thing I am missing is the sheets how long are they, how much should I buy. The boat is an 84 catalina 22. I see there is a kit on catalina direct, it does not tell the length. I have seen some homemade rollers but I am looking for a detailed photo or instructions. I trailer my boat so must be simple. I think I am going to use the original front stay. Starting on deck will be clevis then turnbuckel - some kind of washer - pvc cap w hole - threaded drain cap - 3' threaded nipple - threaded drain cap - pvc adapter - pvc pipe. I store the boat so I am going to use my 150 genoa since the furler is not stored in the sun. How can I attach my hank on genoa to the pvc. Any ideas helpful. Tell me what you think. Thanks Steve
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
02/09/2010 11:57 AM Pacific Time

The idea looks good on paper but the actual function of the furler to make single handing easier. Suggest you go look at a CDI furler (the simplest I know of) and then decide. If you connect the head firm to the top of your pvc pipe and loose connect the rest with straps and snaps like racing sails.Then use the pennant connected to the bottom of the pvc to tension the luff. The 150 may be to long for the pvc. Now you have to figure a way to furl the pvc. Realize the system may not work right when you need it most.
Suggest using a downhaul on the 150 and just a thought (I haven't tried this yet) a third smaller line to the clew and run between the mast and stays. use the third line to pull the clew toward the stearn to keep it out of the water until you can stow the sail. OR just buy a CDI furler (you will still need the 150 cut down)
most of the "cruisers" on the NGCC use them.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
02/11/2010 6:20 PM Pacific Time

I favor the idea of the down haul before getting involved with a home-made furler. I've used both a home-made down haul and the CD furler. I had no trouble with either but the down haul was very simple, easy and inexpensive. Try it first. I found that pulling in the upwind jib sheet fairly tightly kept the sail out of the water except for really hard wind.

Good luck with either effort.

Austin Cooley

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Running rig length and homemade roller furler