Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New to Sailing

Author New to Sailing
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
03/19/2004 5:13 AM Pacific Time

Help!!
I'm very new to sailing. I've been sailing once a very long time ago and I fell in love with it.
I recently bought a Catalina 22 and I can't wait to take her out.
My problem is I don't know what all of the whatumadoodles or for I dont know how to raise the sails are not too much else for that matter.
I do know how to step the mast but not much else after that.
Can anyone help maybe with some pictures are a web site?
Thanks
Dwayne
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
03/19/2004 7:34 PM Pacific Time

Hello Dwayne,
Go to the TrailerSailor site and hook up with Shane ? and Jeff ? They are Louisiana boys from your neck of the swamp and very active on this site. They will help you. They sail West Cote Blanche and Vermilion.
Neither are Catalina guys, but both are good, friendly and helpful sailors nevertheless.

ljp
Saint Benedict, #14686
Man....I love that little boat.
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
03/21/2004 9:46 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Louis
I hooked up with Jeff and I am getting some very useful info.
Thanks again.
Dwayne
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/21/2004 2:41 PM Pacific Time

Dwayne: I'll be in Scott around the 17th of April. If you want to talk contact me off list at: [email protected].
Dan Plank
Cullman, AL

Boat Name: Half Fast

Model/Year: C-22 / 1989

Hull No. 14855

Hailing Port: Guntersville, AL
03/30/2004 4:38 PM Pacific Time

The first thing I did after a couple of outings with a friend in a small (14 feet) boat is read Sailing for Dummies. My sailing greatly improved. The next thing I did was contact Bob Patroni with Floridaze Sailing in Pensacola, FL for lessons. He has a Masters in Education and won a class race at Key West this year. He can teach you how to sail. I've been sailing only for about three years now and have bareboat chartered a 32 foot boat in the Keys last fall. My recommendation.....read and take lessons. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Dan
Tim Tucker
Morganton, NC

Boat Name: Leikela

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 7842

Hailing Port: Lake Norman NC
07/08/2004 5:34 PM Pacific Time

Didn't know where else to ask this. After sailing my wife and myself like to have a beer or two; if you are anchored is this legal in the eyes of the coast guard?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/09/2004 5:23 AM Pacific Time

No, it is illegal, you have to drink Scotch and Soda if you are a yachtsman.
Cheers, Al Ge
Doug
gig habor, wa

Boat Name: Noeta

Model/Year: 1987 C34

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Tacoma, wa
07/09/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

I thought the law says Rum & Coke?
Seriously, It most areas it's illegal (and a bad idea) to operate a boat while intoxicated. It's not illegal to drink while sailing or have open containers on the boat in my area, but it is a misdemeanor to operate a boat while intoxicated. I would wager there' an open beer or drink on the majority of the boats on the water.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/09/2004 1:50 PM Pacific Time

Another great resource for learning to sail is www.ussailing.com You can purchase their Keel Boat Testbook at most marine stores for around $16.00 or order it online.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

07/09/2004 1:51 PM Pacific Time

Another great resource for learning to sail is www.ussailing.com You can purchase their Keel Boat Testbook at most marine stores for around $16.00 or order it online.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
02/05/2010 8:11 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone recommend a good sailing book for a beginner? One that explains terminology (parts/equipment names and sailing terms) and also the proper sail trimming? I have been reading the postings and it is very difficult to follow if you don't know the terminology. I purchased the C-22 Owners Handbook from Catalina Direct hoping it had some of this information but it was very disappointing. I know CD sells other books but it is impossible to know if they are any good. Thanks!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

02/06/2010 7:55 AM Pacific Time

The two largest training organizations are US Sailing and American Sailing Associtation. Almost all certified trainers for keelboats are certified by those two organization and use their published textbooks for training and certification. ASA textbook is entitled "Sailing Fundamentals" by Gary Jobson, US Sailing Textbook is entitled "Basic Keelboat". There are lots of other books, like Sailing for Dummies, Royce's Sailing Illustrated, US Coast Guard Auxillary Boating Skills and Seamanship, Chapman's, etc. but the first two books are the gold standard for learning sailing a keelboat. You can google US Sailing and American Sailing Association to get to their websites where you can purchase directly from them or you can purchase the books at marine stores or at Amazon.com. Hope this helps, and don't forget about joing the C22 National Sailing Association at www.catalina22.org and getting their 360+ tech. manual on c/d. CD Direct Catalog is good for ordering parts, but the C22 NSA tech. manual is the bible for fixing and enjoying your Catalina 22. Also the C22 association members are great at helping C22 sailors. I'm one and there are hundreds of others who have their own websites dedicated to the C22 sailor. Good Luck and I hope this helps!
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
02/06/2010 12:42 PM Pacific Time

My wife and I sailed together on a C-22 for 20 years. Sailing lessons a long time ago were really a big part of our long term success. We went to the Steve Colgate school and to the Annapolis Sailing School with our children. I will save you several years in really getting a feel for the boat. Of course a couple of local sailing friends would also be a great help.

Austin Cooley
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
02/06/2010 6:43 PM Pacific Time

Dwayne, I have 2 books that will be glad to send your way. give me an address.
Enjoy. paul
Hi Austin, getting some snow down there? Hope you are well.

Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
02/08/2010 9:44 AM Pacific Time

I would also suggest The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, 3rd Edition Revised by John Rousmaniere.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/09/2010 5:12 AM Pacific Time

One I found helpful is Royce's "Sailing Illustrated Vol. I" Good basics, been around coming on 50 years and it also uses the C-22 as a basic boat to learn the art of sailing. By the way Vol II is somewhat like a work book from my grammar school days.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
02/09/2010 8:27 AM Pacific Time

"Invitation To Sailing" by Alan Brown is an EXCELLENT book. Don't know if it is still available.
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
02/09/2010 6:39 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Jeff Sabuda
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Ms Sable

Model/Year: Catalina 27 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
04/11/2010 9:16 PM Pacific Time

One afternoon in 2007 it dawned on me that nowhere in the Coast Guard list of requirements did it say "husband," so I bought Merlin, a 1981 Catalina 22, the same afternoon.

I had never sailed before, except about 4 hours in a home-made dinghy about 40 years ago. I had lots of boating experience, just none sailing at that point.

The owner came out with me to show me how to tack and gybe, and then got in her dinghy and left. I sailed her all the way up Saanich Inlet to a marina near my home. One of the proudest days of my life.

I sailed around the Gulf Islands that summer with "Sailing for Dummies" in one hand and the tiller in the other. Literally. Excellent book.

I got myself into so many scrapes that I was almost too scared to leave the dock.

I figured I either had to get used to the thunderous flapping, the slamming around of things, the tipping and plunging and the splashing, or I would have to give it up. Merlin would become one of those boats that just sit in the marina year after year.

And then I discovered racing. Racing is FUN, a wonderful community to belong to, and it will teach you to sail like nothing else. If you're on a tight budget, the price is right!

Email the fleet captain of yacht clubs in your area, and volunteer as crew. It may take you a couple of trys to find a good fit--my first skipper was a screamer, and you don't learn anything from having "NO NO NO" screamed at you. Pay attention, do what you're told, and you will learn volumes.

If you don't know much about boating, the Power and Sail Squadron's basic boating course is inexpensive and invaluable.

Go to used book stores -- you can buy all kinds of "How To Sail" books for peanuts. Read. Sailing is really simple and unbelievably complicated at the same time. I've never found a book that captured it all. It takes a while for it all to come together.

Enjoy the journey.
Jeff Sabuda
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Ms Sable

Model/Year: Catalina 27 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
04/11/2010 9:16 PM Pacific Time

One afternoon in 2007 it dawned on me that nowhere in the Coast Guard list of requirements did it say "husband," so I bought Merlin, a 1981 Catalina 22, the same afternoon.

I had never sailed before, except about 4 hours in a home-made dinghy about 40 years ago. I had lots of boating experience, just none sailing at that point.

The owner came out with me to show me how to tack and gybe, and then got in her dinghy and left. I sailed her all the way up Saanich Inlet to a marina near my home. One of the proudest days of my life.

I sailed around the Gulf Islands that summer with "Sailing for Dummies" in one hand and the tiller in the other. Literally. Excellent book.

I got myself into so many scrapes that I was almost too scared to leave the dock.

I figured I either had to get used to the thunderous flapping, the slamming around of things, the tipping and plunging and the splashing, or I would have to give it up. Merlin would become one of those boats that just sit in the marina year after year.

And then I discovered racing. Racing is FUN, a wonderful community to belong to, and it will teach you to sail like nothing else. If you're on a tight budget, the price is right!

Email the fleet captain of yacht clubs in your area, and volunteer as crew. It may take you a couple of trys to find a good fit--my first skipper was a screamer, and you don't learn anything from having "NO NO NO" screamed at you. Pay attention, do what you're told, and you will learn volumes.

If you don't know much about boating, the Power and Sail Squadron's basic boating course is inexpensive and invaluable.

Go to used book stores -- you can buy all kinds of "How To Sail" books for peanuts. Read. Sailing is really simple and unbelievably complicated at the same time. I've never found a book that captured it all. It takes a while for it all to come together.

Enjoy the journey.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New to Sailing