Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the California Delta

Author Cruising the California Delta
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Boat Name: White Pearl

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1977

Hull No. 7374

Hailing Port: Georgiana slough Calif. Delta
06/08/2010 4:19 PM Pacific Time

Am going to cruise down the delta under the Golden Gate and back. Any advise from those that have done this?? Anyone intrested in making the trip, hoping to go before middle of August. Have done a similiar trip in reverse in an Oday 25. How will a catalina 22 do??
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/09/2010 10:12 AM Pacific Time

Just make sure the winds and tide are in your favor when doing the Golden Gate as the entrance is fairly narrow and the currents/winds can have a big positive or negative effect on a small boat like the C22 trying to go in or out. Of course having a bigger motor helps if needed.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

06/09/2010 5:51 PM Pacific Time

Hi lynn we spoke before I am the carpet cleaner, I inquired about the pop top enclosure you had for sale.I run an 8hp honda, and I will ride the tide.Other than that how are cat22's peformance in the bay, I have seen some heavy weather in San Pablo bay also SF bay??
Jim Sherwood
Westerville, Ohio

Boat Name: Who Cares

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 2186

Hailing Port: Westerville, Ohio
06/10/2010 4:23 AM Pacific Time

Don't do what this guy did ! ! !

http://photos.sfsurvey.com/sail1/imagepages/image1.asp
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

06/10/2010 10:28 PM Pacific Time

Hi Jay I knew it was you and remembered our conversation about your pending trip. Carquinez Straits can be scary or benign depending on the weather, tides, and winds. Benecia Marina is a good stop off/resting place. Brought our C25 from the Bay to the Delta in windy conditions and broke the gooseneck there. Be ready to quickly reef the first time you think about it, and go with the jib unless no wind is predicted. Much easier passage through Carquinez if you can go with the wind and tide. Summer months see lots more wind after noon as the thermals kick in. Other times great sailing with med. winds to mostly motoring into current. Not that bad of swells in the bay unless it's particurlary shallow and windy (Berkeley Flats broke the gudgeon on my C22 and lost steering) or a super bad weather day. Can get lots of chop and spray in a C22 and other times water is like glass. The important thing is to listen to the marine weather station for the bay and outside the Golden Gate and know your limits. Listen on the marine radio for information on swells that are close together in time (not fun). Launching a C22 swing keel off closely timed 3 foot swells is lots scarier than 8 foot swells with bigger distance between them. Have a marine radio, cell phone, radar reflector (yes there is fog in the summer), navigation lights, good anchor and rode, bring foul weather clothes and wear life vests. It will be a trip of your lifetime, and oh yeah have fun!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

07/18/2010 10:51 PM Pacific Time

HI Lynn thanx for all the input! I will head all your advise.When i mentioned if anyone was intrested in the making the trip i meant in your own boat,could sail down together or meet anywhere in between. I notice there has been a few lookies to this thread any other comments would be appreciated,am still looking to go Aug.3 thru 8 or so. hoping to maybe tour Alcatraz and other tourist traps.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

07/18/2010 11:04 PM Pacific Time

I meant i will heed all you advise
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

07/18/2010 11:31 PM Pacific Time

I will ask if any of the Fleet 54 C22's (there are 12) can go during those dates. I am currently having back problems due to too much lifting and am doing physical theraphy right now, but I can always dream!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

08/02/2010 11:18 PM Pacific Time

Leaving tomorrow will keep all posted about the trip hope to be under the gate by Wed.evening or Thrs. morning.Hope the boat will hold all the provisions I am going to load on her in the morning.I think next year I will be doing this trip with a 25 or 26 footer i like the 26 ,anyway hope to be back in Isleton by Sun.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/04/2010 11:58 PM Pacific Time

Jay I still haven't been able to sail my C22 yet due to my back problem. I will be thinking of you and your trip. Have fun and get some good pics. I'm still looking for some more parts for my 84 C22.

Need a small porta- potti
Mast step organizer for blocks
RF Jib or Genoa Sail
Whisker Pole
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

08/16/2010 8:57 PM Pacific Time

Lynn I will look to see if I have any of the items you are looking for. Well getting back to this thread a little late. What a roller coaster ride we had!! Did make it under the Gate on Thrs. morning after a rough go of it through Suisun and San Pablo bays.Anchored near Pier 39 had a good lunch back on board around 1:30 was able to sail all the way to Vallejo big surf behind us.Back in the delta Friday morn.Stayed on the hook in Potato slough Friday night celebrated making it with a few to many beers. P.s.If you stay in Mcavoy yacht harbor in West Pittsburgh say hello to the raccoon that boarded the boat looking for a 1:00 am snack that was wierd!!Any way I could go on forever about the trip and what a great adventure it was not sure it would be for everybody I will certanly do it again.Thanx Jim Sherwood for the link of the boat going turtle it did not happen, however gave my wife something to think about will I was gone.
Special thanks to the owner of Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor what a nice lady you are.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

08/16/2010 9:01 PM Pacific Time

Just A LITTLE NOTE IF YOU ARE GOING IN TO Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor WATCH OUT FOR THE SHIP WRECK OF ALL TIMES NOT TO BE LOOKING AT THE CHARTS
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

08/18/2010 4:08 PM Pacific Time

Jay glad to see you made it to your goal of the Golden Gate and back to the Delta. We had the same experience at the Berkley YC guest dock with a racoon looking for a late night dinner. Thought it was a homeless person messing with the boat until we looked out from the curtain and was face to face with the racoon!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

12/31/2010 9:10 PM Pacific Time

I am thinking of doing this trip again around May, however I am open to another month if any one wants to go????
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
01/01/2011 1:56 PM Pacific Time

Jay: how about doing a bit of planning and hosting this trip as a 'West Coast Cruise" for the C22 National Sailing Association? we could sure use some cruises and some input from the Western half of the country. I would be glad to help in any way possible from the frozen north of Michigan.

Mike Bracket
C22 NSA Cruising Director.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/01/2011 8:42 PM Pacific Time

I am up for any thing you have in mind,I am not big on associations however I am a member of the catalina 22 national sailing association, I am not a member of a local association due to the fact that I sail out of the California Delta not any other Cat22 in that area that I know of. I have not chatted or communicated with any. If anyone is in the area I would love to sail with you!! I posted this blog last year the only response I got was Lynn who is a great person and a sailing enthusist however she is in the Grass Valley area. If there is any intrest I would think they would respond, I have had a lot of lookeloos to this thread you can see how many people have viewed compared to how many have responded. I had a great time on my adventure under the Golden Gate WOW how fun it was!! If any one or a group is intrested lets get it going sailing in a lake or river is one thing going under Golden Gate is another not sure many are up for it.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/01/2011 9:26 PM Pacific Time

I am not a great sailor,however going under the Gate takes more Nu_s than most have, it is quite a ride! If any1 is up to trying lets go!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/01/2011 9:41 PM Pacific Time

Jaybernard@comcast.net
John Haggis
Victoria BC

Boat Name: Windfall

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1973

Hull No. 2934

Hailing Port: Victoria BC
01/02/2011 7:51 AM Pacific Time

I have sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge many times in a warship and being a Catalina 22 owner I don't think that is anyplace I would want to sail my boat. The tide, current and wind conditions, not to mention fog (which can roll in quickly and without notice) is enough for me to not go there in my small boat. Remember when that fog rolls in it gets very cold and anytime my wife can't sail in her bikini I get complaints from the crew.

John Haggis
Victoria BC, SV Windfall,
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/02/2011 8:59 AM Pacific Time

Yes I can see why they would not be happy that must be a good incentive to keep a crew coming back!!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/02/2011 9:08 AM Pacific Time

This does not have to be a final destination going under the golden gate there are a lot of nice places in the delta to cruise I completed this trip last Aug. got under the gate with suprising ease call it beginers luck or stupidy or whatever. I am aware of the risks if anyone wants to hang out in the delta that would be great. It is a lot of fun to check out the mothball fleet I understand there is talk of removing the vessels.Seeing them from the highway does not give you a understanding of what a sight it is to see them up close!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

01/02/2011 10:12 AM Pacific Time

Also July 4 th at Mandeville cut is one of the best fireworks show, bring your boat anchor and watch the show it is a great time last year their was around 6 to 700 boats the fireworks are right over you very neat, very calm water to stay for the night check out this link it is an older site however gives you the general idea http://www.johnsonslanding.com/mandevil.htm or Google it lot of videos on u-tube. The fireworks are put on by hotel baron Hilton.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

06/30/2011 10:08 AM Pacific Time

The forth is coming anyone going to Mandevill to watch the Hilton fireworks display?? It is a great time!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

07/13/2011 9:50 AM Pacific Time

Well had a great time at the fireworks display! stayed on the hook for a few nights think I was the smallest vessel there.
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

07/28/2011 6:44 PM Pacific Time

It's been a year, going under the Golden Gate anyone intrested in doing this??
Leaving Aug.2
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

04/02/2012 4:57 PM Pacific Time

Anyone have any sailing plans this summer??? forth of July at Mandevill is always fun!!
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

04/10/2013 5:16 PM Pacific Time

Anyone have any sailing plans this summer??? forth of July at Mandevill is always fun "Wait I think I am repeating myself"
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

04/10/2013 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Anyone have any sailing plans this summer??? forth of July at Mandevill is always fun "Wait I think I am repeating myself"
Jay
Orangevale Ca.

Hull No. 7374

07/02/2013 11:36 PM Pacific Time

Headed to the Hilton firework display, will look for all you catalina's there
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Hull No. 11994

07/04/2013 4:28 PM Pacific Time

Hey Jay, Lynn Buchanan here. Nice to hear your still sailing a C22. I'm a member of the C22 NSA and they have a forum now at www.catalina22.org. You can lerk as a guest if your not a member but can post and reply if you are a NSA member. Nice feature of that forum is you can do a search feature. Dale and I have two new to us C22's a 73 racer #2170 s/k and a 89 cruiser #14902 w/k. We winter in AZ and will take the wing keel there this winter and leave it there. A friend who has a C22 recently retired and wants to do the Delta and Lake Tahoe this summer. When we pick a date, will contact you to see if you're interested in a meetup. The new C22 NSA commodore is from the So. CA area and is planning a 2014 National cruise from Mission Bay Yacht Club to Shelter Island, San Diego Bay next year. Hope you can make that trip. Have fun at Hilton Island. Been there several 4th in the C22 and it was fun. Keep in touch!

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the California Delta