Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Transducer Location

Author Transducer Location
Joseph Washburn
Hampstead, NC

Boat Name: Disciple Ship

Model/Year: 1988 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14408

Hailing Port: Wilmington
03/20/2004 9:37 AM Pacific Time

I have a Horizon DS45 depth sounder on my 1988 C-22. The transducer was mounted on the starboard sided beneath and a little forward of the stove. The problem is that 99% of the time it does not register a reading. I removed the transducer and place it in a barrel of water and it registered fine. What is the best location for this transducer? Is access to this area easy to work in?

Thanks
Joseph Washburn
"Disciple Ship"
1988 C-22
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
03/21/2004 2:45 PM Pacific Time

That sounds like a good location to me. Mine is on the port side right under the sink and it works just fine.
R Thomas
Long Beach, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 14922

Hailing Port: Long Beach
03/21/2004 6:34 PM Pacific Time

I installed mine in the port compartment where the keel lock is located ( if you have a swing keel), mine is a wing keel.
I used a wax sealing ring for a toilet working it into a flat cake. I forced the transducer into the cake making sure there was no air entrapped in the wax. It works great and it can be easly re-located if needed.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
04/30/2004 9:43 AM Pacific Time

I installed my transducer in a bee wax toilet seal in the compartment at the rear of the v-bearth. It works great.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
05/01/2004 12:50 AM Pacific Time

I have one mounted inside the hull directly in front of the wing keel (just aft of where the 5 gal water jug sits) and the other one is mounted inside the hull under the companionway. Both work just fine although it did take a little trial and error to get them positioned just right.
Philip
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
05/01/2004 9:40 PM Pacific Time

O K guys. You mount these things in wax rings. Do you put anything inside the wax ring to transfer the signal? Do they just transmit thru an inch of air then a half inch of fiberglass then the water?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/01/2004 11:10 PM Pacific Time

Forgot to mention that I mount my transducers in silicone marine sealant. Put a big glob on the transducer and then press against the hull while turning slightly to get all the air bubbles out. Check the display to make sure you are getting an accurate reading. May require some slight movement or adjustment to get a good reading.
Philip
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
05/02/2004 5:16 AM Pacific Time

The transducer does not transmit through air. The bee-wax seal is first needed into a ball and then stuck to the hull. The transducer is then pushed down into the ball so it is in contact with the hull. I'm sure there is a little loss of sensitivity since it is not solidily bonded to the hull but it is not significant for the application. I get a good picture of the bottom in all of the areas I sail. I have not sailed in water deep enough to test the maximum range of the fish finder yet. I am more interested in how shallow the water is not how deep. It is a great help to prevent the keel from hitting the bottom.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
05/02/2004 8:09 AM Pacific Time

I had never heard of the wax seat for transducers before.

This is a great idea, since I've always permanently epoxied mine to the hull. On my old PY23, I wound up with three transducers on the hull, and only the first (factory installed) was in the best location. By the time I got the boat, the previous owner had burned thru two depthfinders, so I was left with a lousy location.

My epoxy installation on my C-22 was the first ever on this boat. I put it on the centerline in the locker under the forward berths, as far back as I could get it. Tried it there in a puddle of water first to make sure there were no voids in the hull. Then I wiped up the puddle, waited a few days to make sure it was bone dry and poured an epoxy puddle in the same spot. Works fine up to 350' and no "snow", even in rough seas. Next installation, I'll definitely try wax!
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
05/03/2004 7:07 AM Pacific Time

I have a through hull on my depth finder. I added a fish finder last year. I used a piece of stainless flat stock about two feet long ,mounted the tranducer on the lower end and attached the upper end of the flat stock to the transom, on the starboard side above the water line. Its out of the way it works great.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

05/03/2004 2:29 PM Pacific Time

Yeah Russ, I've always mounted mine on the transom but that means I'm always looking at where I was. That plus the hassle of routing the coax. This time I think I'll wax ring it in front of the keel in Phillip's location. Thanks guys.
Wayne Jones
McLeansville, NC

Boat Name: Lazy Days

Model/Year: C22, 1987

Hull No. CTYH4170D787

Hailing Port: Greensboro, NC
05/12/2004 6:41 AM Pacific Time

I'm new and just learning and want to add a depth/fish finder to my boat. What type of transducer is everyone using to mount inside the hull? When I look at ads. for through-hulls, they say a hole has to be drilled. Thanks for the help.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/13/2004 10:04 AM Pacific Time

No need to drill any holes!!! Just use the standard transducer and mount any of the ways described above.
Philip
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

05/14/2004 5:14 AM Pacific Time

Wayne, all of the normal transducers will "see" through a fiberglass hull, as long as there are no air pockets between it and the water. That's why everyone is talking about using a medium, like wax, silicone, or epoxy to give the Transducer a solid contact point that conforms to the irregularities of the fiberglassing your hull.

The only thing you have to worry about is whether there is an air pocket within the fiberglass, which doesn't appear to be a problem with C-22's since they are very well made.

The wax ball described bypeople above is great, because it allows you to try the transducer in several locations without anchoring it to the hull. silicone is tough to remove once it's dry, and epoxy is impossible to remove without damaging the hull.

The old way to select a location is to create a puddle of water where you want to mount the transducer and lay the face in the puddle, so it was shooting thru water-fiberglass-water to see the bottom.

This still works fine, but you have to dry the area well before permanently mounting the transducer by any of the methods above.

As a matter of fact, my first fishing boat leaked, so I just put the transducer in the bilge, where it was always shooting thru water!

Any of the fish finders / depthfinders will work this way, from the $80 models to the $2000 models, so don't worry about type.

Boat Name: Sunshine

Model/Year: C-22/ 1977

Hull No. 7245

Hailing Port: Eglin AFB
05/14/2004 5:48 AM Pacific Time

Do you only get depth information from these or can you get knots as well? My transducter works fine for depth and the other knot meter works great but is a pain to pull every month to clean the wheel out from critters.
Thanks
Brad Purvis
Sunshine 77 C-22
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

05/14/2004 2:51 PM Pacific Time

Get a GPS. My cheap Magellon (under $100) displays either knots or MPH to the tenth of a knot (MPH).
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Boat Name: Knot On Call

Model/Year: Former C-22 Now C-250

Hull No. 66

Hailing Port: Sutter Creek, California
05/14/2004 4:07 PM Pacific Time

What Magallen model do you have?
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

05/16/2004 3:42 PM Pacific Time

It's a SporTrak. Usually sells for a little over a hundred with a rebate that makes it end up at about $99. I figured it would be a good one to cut my teeth on then I could move on to one with mapping capabilities.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
05/09/2005 9:39 AM Pacific Time

Hello everyone. I am new here and back into sailing with a C-22. My new boat will need a depth meter and I am considering the Uniden. I do not want to dril any holes through the hull to mount an external unit and am wondering if I should order a through hull unit and use the wax mold technique many of you here have spoken about.

Will a "through hull" transducer work OK if it is mounted inside the hull via the wax method?

What do you folks recommend?
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
05/09/2005 10:19 AM Pacific Time

Tom,

I don't know if a through hull transducer will work. Someone on the list may have tried it and will respond. The Hummingbird Piranna series of fish finders work really well as depth finders and are inexpensive. Even the cheapest one has a depth alarm. I know for a fact that the transducers on these can be mounted using the "wax" method.

Bob
George
Georgetown, SC

Hull No. 11184

05/09/2005 5:42 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Bob.

I want to make sure before I buy one. Some have said that hey all work the same. I hate having to drill a hole through the hull (I know I am a wimp). LOL.

Ray Electornics makes a really nice one, for $175, but I found a site today that sells the Uniden for $79. That saves some money.
George
Georgetown, SC

Hull No. 11184

05/09/2005 5:46 PM Pacific Time

Bob: I have a proposition. My boat is almost ready to sail and I have got he botom paint done. I am not that far from you. If I trailer it up, wou you be willing to go with me on a "shakedown" cruise?

Southport might be a good place to launch for a day cruise. I used to own a C-22 years ago, but I sure could use a good refamiliraization and advice from a seasoned C-22 sailor. Email me at: [email protected] if you can help me out. Thanks.
George
Georgetown, SC

Hull No. 11184

05/10/2005 9:05 AM Pacific Time

Concerning transducer power, will a 100W transducer be enough to see through the hull if a inside tthe hull mounting system is used?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
05/11/2005 10:23 AM Pacific Time

Tom,

No problem, I think. Mine is a Standard D-150 and I mounted it forward of the keel in that aft area right under the vee berth. I used a piece of pvc mounted with silicon adhesive and the transducer sits inside that on a wetted surface of mineral oil. That has worked just fine for 3 years and I've nver had to add mineral oil.

Georgetown? I often come down for the wooden boat show in Oct in my 22. I launch in Chas. and come up the coast. Georgetown has some great, native areas to cruise!

Good luck,
Larry
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
08/08/2005 1:58 PM Pacific Time

Larry (all)... I've purchased a Uniden for under $100 and am thinking of installing it using the PVC method in the storage under the v-birth. Two questions though: 1) does the Transducer's rolling around as the boat moves affect the readings? 2) What did you use to attach the PVC to the hull (epoxy)?
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1988 C-22

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
10/14/2005 6:45 PM Pacific Time

Today, I tried to install a depth transducer in the small forward hatch under the vee berth using the "wax method" and was not successful. My transducer works in a small puddle of water in the hatch. Once, I started working with the wax it became soft, almost like Vaseline and I could not get it to mold into a ball. What is the secret? I want to use the wax method because I can remove the transducer if I need to change the transducer or location later.

Willard
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

10/15/2005 4:59 AM Pacific Time

Willard, what was the temperature on the day you tried it? Sounds like the wax got too soft, but this shouldn't be a problem. Whether it's a puddle of water, epoxy, silicone or melted wax, as long as there's no air between the bottom face of the transducer and the hull, it should read ok.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Hull No. #8717

10/15/2005 7:09 AM Pacific Time

Willard,

I would suggest trying silicone. It will remove when you want it to, but will adhere better than wax.

Bob
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1988 C-22

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
10/15/2005 10:13 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Bob,

I will try silicone. I appreciate the tip.

Willard
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
10/17/2005 7:35 AM Pacific Time

I used silicone several years ago with no problems so far , just be sure there are no air bubbles under the transducer

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/16/2005 6:14 PM Pacific Time

Larry, you wrote: "I used a piece of pvc mounted with silicon adhesive and the transducer sits inside that on a wetted surface of mineral oil."

How did you position the transducer and how did you keep it from shifting around?

Thanks,

Eric
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
12/17/2005 8:41 AM Pacific Time

I have my transducer mounted in a piece of PVC pipe coupling, much like Eric describes. I epoxied a small block of wood inside of the 4 inch coupling and screwed the transom mount transducer to that with about a 1/4 gap to the hull. The pipe coupling is bonded to the hull with 5200. I just use a few ounces of water in the coupling to submerge the bottom of the transducer and it works fine. I check the water occasionally for evaporation. It is mounted under the companionway opposite and a bit aft of the battery. Makes for short wiring and works fine there.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/17/2005 3:18 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

Have you considered using mineral oil rather than water to "defeat" the evaporation possibility?

Also, do I understand correctly...you used a coupling rather than plain pipe? Was that to allow for a screw on cap?

All the ice gone over there now? ;->

Eric
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
12/18/2005 9:56 AM Pacific Time

Eric, I will be changing mineral oil this spring when I refill the pipe. I put some antifreeze in with the water last fall but that dissolved the caulk I had used to fasten the pipe to the hull so now it will be 5200 and mineral oil. I only used the coupling because I didn't want to buy 10 feet of 4 inch pipe and the coupling was just the right length to hold the transducer.
We didn't get much ice here in south Charlotte but many folks just north and west of us are still without power.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/18/2005 2:56 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

Be sure to check that 5200 is impervious to mineral oil. I think it was on another list, but someone mentioned "ending up with a puddle of mineral oil" if the PVC tube is set into silicone caulk. They recommended using epoxy, which can generally be removed with a heat gun if the need arises.

If you know (or anyone else for that matter) if 5200 is OK around mineral oil, would you please post that info here?

Thanks,
Eric
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, Texas
05/18/2006 9:05 PM Pacific Time

I have purchased a Hawkeye depth sounder and want to install it in the small forward compartment under the Vee berth at the bow in my Catalina 22. I am having difficulty locating a 'good reliable spot' using the water method. It will work OK when at the dock but doesn't work when out in the lake.

Has anyone located a transducer in this location? What is the secret? Is there a more powerful depth sounder?
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
10/01/2006 1:07 PM Pacific Time

Willard, I have read your post from a while ago about your Hawkeye depth finder. I to have been trying to set mine up. After installing, and uninstalling the first display( that one was faulty) I installed a second one in it's place, and then placed the transducer over the side and into the water to make sure everything worked. It did. So I ran the transducer foward to the Vberth area, and then stuck it in a puddle of toilet bowl wax. I went back and looked at the display, and found it to read nothing , I did this about 4 or 5 times, and still nothing. So I called customer service and asked for assistance. They were very helpful . The next day I came back with alot of paper towels, and a jar of vasaline. I cleaned up all of the wax, and tried the vasaline. At my first choice of location, it worked really well. So I sailed around for a few hours, doing tacks, turns and everything possible for it NOT to work. It worked flawlessly. I'm now mounting it in that same spot permanently. The location is on the starboard side, next to and as close to the fresh water container as possible. I hope this helps, and good luck. Jay
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/02/2006 7:41 AM Pacific Time

I just fiberglassed my Eagle Fish Finder transducer into the center of the hull in the aft V bearth compartment. I know I can never move it but it works great. I then mounted the readout on a bracket on the mast. All I had to do was put extensions on the power cord to get to the electrical panel. If you have the sensor on the side of the hull, you chance it getting out of the water during a significant heel. I looked at "sailboat" depth finders and they all were over $300. Mine cost less than $90.

Greg
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Hull No. #8717

10/02/2006 8:10 AM Pacific Time

Greg,

I have my transducer in the same area you described. On the lake where I normally sail, it works great. However, when we sailed on Green Bay, we had times when the bow came out of the water enough to cause the system to go nuts. I plan to move my transducer aft to try to reduce the problem.

Bob
Mike Chrostowski
Airmont, NY

Boat Name: Kestrel

Model/Year: C-22/1986

Hull No. 13174

Hailing Port: Stoney Point, NY
09/29/2019 7:08 PM Pacific Time

Thomas Jay Holz
Did your thru-hull depth finder continue to work in the vberth on the starboard side of the water tank?
Mike
Mike Chrostowski
Airmont, NY

Boat Name: Kestrel

Model/Year: C-22/1986

Hull No. 13174

Hailing Port: Stoney Point, NY
09/29/2019 7:08 PM Pacific Time

Thomas Jay Holz
Did your thru-hull depth finder continue to work in the vberth on the starboard side of the water tank?
Mike

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Transducer Location