Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Shaft length

Author Shaft length
Joe
Sayville NY

Boat Name: Not Yet

Model/Year: 72

Hull No. 3113

Hailing Port: Sayville NY
03/20/2004 2:30 PM Pacific Time

I'm looking for an outboard for my C-22. I sail on the Great
South Bay what shaft length do I need? The 6 HP suzuki comes in 21" only, do I need a 25"?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/20/2004 3:37 PM Pacific Time

I have a Nissan 6HP with a 20" shaft. If they made a 25" shaft, I would have bought it, but the 20" is sufficient in most conditions. Don't forget the Catalina 22 is a SAILboat. If the wind is making the water choppy with waves, sail if you can. The ride will actually be smoother. Directly up wind, you should have few problems with a 20" shaft. You just have to ready to throttle back, if the prop cavitates in steep chop or a huge wake generated by an uncaring or oblivious power boater.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

03/20/2004 3:41 PM Pacific Time

I forgot to mention that the best source I have seen so far for a new outboard motor is ITG Marine http://tinyurl.com/2a3lu Current price for a Nissan 4 cycle 6HP long shaft (like mine) is $1159 plus shipping. I don't think you will find a better price.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
03/21/2004 12:07 PM Pacific Time

Joe,
I sail out of Patchogue in GS bay as well. I have a nissan 5 hp 20". The bay can kick up quick sometimes and the chop has been a problem at times with shaft length, but not too often. The 20" is usually fine though, so if you are looking at a 21" 6hp, you should be ok

Steve Morgan
Joe
Sayville NY

Hull No. 3113

03/23/2004 5:00 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the input. Is the 5 hp sufficient for the bay or would 6 or more be better. I don't plan on using the motor much, just to get in and out of the slip.
Joe
Sayville NY

Hull No. 3113

03/23/2004 5:21 PM Pacific Time

Dick,
Thanks for the tip on the ITG website. Thats a great price for that motor. If you have a problem with it will any marina that carries nissan outboards honor the manufacturers warranty?
Joe
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

03/23/2004 6:16 PM Pacific Time

Joe - The five and the six have the same specs except for the HP. I went with the 6 for that reason. had a problem with the idle speed and shifting into reverse when I got mine. I looked up the local REPAIR service: http://www.nissanmarine.com/search/index.html

The mechanic did some minor adjustments and now everything is great.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
03/23/2004 7:09 PM Pacific Time

The five works fine for me. As you said, I use mine mostly to get in and out of the slip. Sometimes when it's a little rough, I wish I had a little more 'go' to push through the chop, but I'm happy.

Steve
Jack Kernel
Miami

Boat Name: Any

Model/Year: Any

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/24/2004 9:32 PM Pacific Time

I am about to order a new Catalina 18’.
(Sorry, do not have enough dock space for a 22').
Also contemplating on a 5HP 4-stroke Honda outboard or a 6HP Suzuki.
A Fulton or Garelic Retractable Motor Bracket was recommended by the dealer.
My intention is to keep the motor on the boat but out of the water without having to tilt it up! Since my maximum available docking space is 20' 4".
Questions:
15" or the 20" shaft is the proper choice for this boat?
How figure out the right place to mount the bracket?
Which motor would push the boat faster?
The 6HP Suzuki with alternator is $228.00 less expensive than the 5HP Honda. Where is the difference in quality or performance?
I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions from all you experienced Catalina owners.
My Email address is [email protected].

Thanks,
Jack K.
Kalman Peleg
Haifa, Isreal

Boat Name: BAR GAL

Model/Year: 1994

Hull No. 13937

Hailing Port: Haifa
06/27/2004 1:45 AM Pacific Time

I can buy a new Yamaha 4 stroke 6 HP motor realy cheap.
However, it is the short shaft version 15".
Does anybody know if a 15" shaft will work on a C22 or is the long 20" shaft a must?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/27/2004 8:21 AM Pacific Time

A long shaft is recommended. Dick King says he would go with an extra long shaft if it were available. More than one person has commented about the short shaft coming out of the water when it is wavy. A short shaft might be OK for calm, small lakes waters. I see that you hail from Haifa. Will you be sailing in the Med?

Is a long shaft converison kit available for theYamaha? (Although that probably negates the great initial price.)
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

06/28/2004 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Kalman - You usually get what you pay for. As Michael says, check on the price and availability of a shaft extension kit. I made the mistake of buying a short shaft motor when a got my first C22 thirty years ago. After two trips with the motor screaming at me every time we went over a small wave in a light chop, I sold it to a fisherman and got a long shatt Evinrude 6. A long shatt is not quite mandatory, but is in my opinion, the way to go.
Kalman Peleg
Haifa, Isreal

Boat Name: BAR GAL

Model/Year: 1994

Hull No. 13937

Hailing Port: Haifa
06/28/2004 10:27 AM Pacific Time

Mike and Dick thanks for the information. Yes, I am sailing the Med. and many times it gets pretty choppy.
I am going to get a long hsaft motor and pay the full price.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
08/02/2004 12:12 AM Pacific Time

Hello!
I just bought a 6HP Nissan, 4 stroke, 20" shaft engine from www.onlineoutboards.com which seems to be the same outfit as the one that Dick King mentioned as the price is the same and it is out of Tennessee, also. It seems to have a bit more details on the motors, too.
The S&H for all the motors 6Hp and under (if I recall correctly) is only $80.00. and arrived in less than a week.
My motor is still in the break in period and doing fine, so far.
Chris Collins, the sales mgr., is great to work with, patient, answers all questions, etc.
If you buy from him, please mention my name and address as he may recall the sale...
Oh, you also get a free gas tank and hook up!
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA
Sailing out of Havre de Grace, MD

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Shaft length