Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / "Abandon Race" Flag?

Author "Abandon Race" Flag?
Greg Mason
Manchester, N.H.

Boat Name: Natural

Model/Year: Catalina 30 - 1984

Hull No. 4992

Hailing Port: Casco Bay, Maine
10/10/2010 6:58 PM Pacific Time

I have been racing a Cat22 since 2005. I typically finish a race anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes behind the rest of the 22's where I race.

I've been getting some negative feedback from the race committee, because the late finishes are "holding up the works". I was thinking I could arrange with the committee for me to hoist some sort of "abandon race" flag so they could "DNF" me and move on to the next race.

Before I suggest this to the committee, I was wondering if there was an official flag for this purpose?

Thanks!
David Hewitt
El Dorado Hills, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1986

Hull No. 13153

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake Marina
10/10/2010 10:01 PM Pacific Time

Greg-
Boy, your YC must not care about attracting new racers if they are going to claim folks 5-10 minutes behind the pack are "holding up the works". You shouldn't be forced to abandon if you fall behind, it's the RC's problem to publish a Time Limit in the SIs. My YC's Time Limit is as follows:

TIME LIMIT: The leading boat of a class must finish within 2.5 hours from the start of her class. The remaining boats must
finish within one hour of the leading boat of that class. Those boats not finishing within these times will be scored “DNF.” This
changes Rule 35.

I have to admit, if I had to wait 1 hr for boats to finish I'd get a little cranky, but at least everyone understands the ground rules.
Dave
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
10/11/2010 12:58 AM Pacific Time

David is right here, your RC is WAY off base. They need to put it in the Sailing Instructions or back off.
Greg Mason
Manchester, N.H.

Hull No. 4992

10/11/2010 4:58 AM Pacific Time

You are right, and I think they know that. This is more of a political issue.
When I start a race I know I'm going to be last (and way late!). Last is last, so I don't mind the DNF, if it helps the rest of the fleet..

Thanks for your input! I take it then that no such flag exists?
Jim Simons
Lake Martin, AL

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/11/2010 7:40 AM Pacific Time

When serving as RC Chair, I've been sensitve to handling the last finishing boat fairly, while still considering the basic requirement to manage an efficient series of races for all participants. All boats must be given the opportunity to finish the race, late or not; a basic Corinthian principle of sailing.

When a boat is going to finish last by a margin that would significantly delay starting the next race, we give the skipper the opportunity to accept a "Finish in Place", or just finish the race. "Significant" would typically occur when the rest of the boats have finished, and the last boat still has one more mark before the finishing leg.

When the boat is finished in place, it proceeds directly to the start area for the next race; forgetting that last mark.

Usually, the skipper will accept the Finish in Place, as it is a recognized finish. Thus, the last boat "finishes" as soon as possible, and the next race starts, as soon as possible.

When only a single class is racing, it's usually apparent that the last boat will not be able to improve his finish. If it's a handicap race, the RC might need to do some math the confirm the last boat can only be last.

Hope this helps,

Jim Simons
Dixie Sailing Club
Lake Martin, AL
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/11/2010 9:35 AM Pacific Time

I agree your RC could finish you in place if you are class racing with other C22's. Five to ten minutes is not such a long time for the others to wait if you ask me. Most local Sailing Instructions allow for 30 minutes max to finish after the first boat in your fleet finishes. In handicap fleets it can be up to 2.5 hours to finish. The RC should honor the Sailing Instructions as it relates to race times for your races or change the time limit for finishing. Another option is to start your motor and motor to the RC and tell them you are withdrawing from that race if you feel the need to keep the peace when racing against other C22's. Politics or not, your RC should honor the Corinthian spirit. I could guarantee you there is at least one person on the RC who came in more than 5 to 10 minutes after the first boat to finish when they were racing.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
10/12/2010 9:29 AM Pacific Time

I don't consider finishing 5-10 minutes behind the fleet as holding things up. As a racer, I would welcome the breather to grab a bite, check gear and analyze the last race with my crew.

You might talk to the other competitors to see if it is causing a problem. Perhaps you can use it to your advantage: "I seem to be finishing 10 minutes behind everyone else. Can you give me some tips or hints to help me improve my time so I am not holding things up so much?"
Greg Mason
Manchester, N.H.

Hull No. 4992

10/12/2010 6:27 PM Pacific Time

I really appreciate alll the feed back, especially the "finish in place" idea from Jim S.

What I think I will do next season is to work something out with the RC at my club so that everyone can feel comfortable calling the race, and I can just go right from where ever I am to the line.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions! This is a great forum.

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / "Abandon Race" Flag?