Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Weather boards...

Author Weather boards...
Greg Mason
Manchester, N.H.

Boat Name: Natural

Model/Year: Catalina 30 - 1984

Hull No. 4992

Hailing Port: Casco Bay, Maine
06/12/2011 7:41 PM Pacific Time

We have lost the boards for the companion way for our '84 boat. I notice that Cat direct no longer offers replacements. Any ideas?

Thanks!
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/13/2011 4:34 AM Pacific Time

Although it doesn't look as good as the teak boards, you can use "Starboard" or PVC lumber from most home center stores. Make a template and cut . "Starboard" comes in up to 4X8 sheets and PVC lumber I believe only comes in maximum 8" widths. Both come in several thicknesses. I have a boat at the marina near mine which the owner has painted the "Starboard" and put grain in it to make it look like teak.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
06/13/2011 7:14 AM Pacific Time

If you plan to make new ones, another good wood to use is Sapele. It looks a lot like mahogony. You can get marine plywood with Sapele veneer as well. I laminated some 7/8 thick solid pieces to make a new outboard mount for my C22 and it looks great. I used 3 coats of epoxy and 3 coates of varnish to finish it.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
06/13/2011 8:11 AM Pacific Time

Greg, CD still sells the washboards/hatchboards. Here's the link
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?category=42
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
06/13/2011 3:37 PM Pacific Time

When i was refinishing my teak washboards, i took a piece of translucent something like plastic (found along the road or in the marina's trash bin-forget) that did not bend. used the teaks as a pattern, used my sabre saw and VOILA! New companionway. It worked out dandy!

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Weather boards...