Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Anchor locker leak

Author Anchor locker leak
Wes Sherrill
Concord, NC

Boat Name: Summer Breeze

Model/Year: C 22/1988 fin keel

Hull No. 14333

Hailing Port: Lake Tillery, NC
02/05/2012 1:01 PM Pacific Time

After I washed my anchor locker, I noticed water beneath the bow v-berth cushion (not alot of water, just enough to keep the cushion wet). There are no visible signs of a hole in the anchor locker. I suspect there is a hole or crack in the locker drain. I assume there is a joint in the drain where the hull and the top deck join after the 2 components are assembled at the factory. I plan to use a drill to enlarge the drain hole and then silicone a flexible tube back in the hole, sealing around both ends of the tubing.

I did not see this issue on any other post. Does anyone see any problems with doing this?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/06/2012 4:41 AM Pacific Time

I would not do that. Two reasons why; 1. your chances of compromising the drain structure would be worsened. The best silicon seal is not nearly as good as the fiberglass. 2. i would explore other possible leak locations such as the bow eye.

If in fact the leak is coming from the drain tube, which is straight on my boat, I think a better solution is to draw a gel epoxy through the tube with a piece of wire with a small rubber ball about the size of the tube attached.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
12/07/2012 2:19 AM Pacific Time

My girl had a bit of water getting in her in many areas. I found the deck to hull seal needed resealed. I used 3M 5200 and this is about the only use that is ok for 5200.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Anchor locker leak