Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / unknown part

Author unknown part
ethan
North Plainfield, NJ

Boat Name: Crow

Model/Year: wing/1989

Hull No. 14988

Hailing Port: South Amboy, NJ
04/30/2012 10:40 AM Pacific Time

Hi guys, I have a question. I got my boat used. There are two little plastic pieces mounted on the transom that I don't know what they do. Could someone knowledgeable please tell me? Please follow the link to see the picture I took. Thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79712590@N08/7128937213/
Bill Braun & Christine Sammel
Evanston, Illinois

Boat Name: Da Doo Run Run

Model/Year: 1989 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14840

Hailing Port: Wilmette, Illinois
04/30/2012 11:58 AM Pacific Time

Do they have ridges inside? If so, they're clam cleats and might be used to secure your traveler lines on each side. But I didn't see a traveler in your picture. It's usually mounted on the top surface of the transom.
If no traveler, then they might be used for holding tight any number of types of line that go to the stern of the boat. You insert the line in the narrower end and pull it toward the wider end to secure it. Release it by lifting up.
Christine
ethan
North Plainfield, NJ

Boat Name: Crow

Model/Year: wing/1989

Hull No. 14988

Hailing Port: South Amboy, NJ
04/30/2012 12:11 PM Pacific Time

Hi Christine,
thanks for your input. My main sheet traveler is mounted on the top surface of the transom. I don't think it is a clam cleat either.it doesn't have ridge on the inside. rather, it is like some type of slot. I am guessing maybe it is for a older or racing style traveler that comes with a bar that fits in the slots. I just don't know.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/01/2012 5:52 PM Pacific Time

could it be something for tying off a sunshade over the boom. on anchoring down a bimini?
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
05/03/2012 1:58 PM Pacific Time

It could be for a tiller tamer, or a variation of a self tending tiller rig?

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/2205_IM_TillerTamer.pdf

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / unknown part