Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Winch

Author Winch
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
03/28/2004 9:52 PM Pacific Time

I have been trying to find the maker of our keel winch with the intent of getting new clutch discs. This is the main wear item. My winch out of a '74 I believe is not original due to it's good condition. It has stamped on the back side, K1051 work winch, a bunch of weight limits, and the words Fulton Milwaukie. I started on line in milwaukee Wis. and could find no business named fulton. Then I searched an atlas and the only other Milwau... I could find was in Oregon about 50 miles away. I got excited, went to a library and looked up all the businesses there. No luck even though Fulton is a common name there. I am about ready to go to a clutch manufacturer and see what it woulc cost to have them made but then thought maybe these people went out of business and another company is now making them. Why don't some of you get down with a mirror and see what's stamped on the back of your winch? Post it here.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/29/2004 6:04 AM Pacific Time

Dick
try looking at: http://tinyurl.com/2fe2x I think its the site your looking for

Ken
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
03/29/2004 9:25 PM Pacific Time

Go to http://www.fultonperformance.com/ and look under products, winches, automatic brake. You'll find the K/KX1051 at the bottom of the table.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
04/06/2004 3:25 PM Pacific Time

Thanks guys, No wonder I couldn't find them. They're not in Milwaukee anymore. Both of your web sites are correct. I had to call them as their parts site is not up and running yet but Bill at their parts desk sent me a new friction disc (as they call it). I put a mike on it and we now know that a brand new friction disc is about 0.126 inches thick. I read somewhere, probably in some CD literature that 1/16 inch or 0.0625 inches is the wear limit. So now we know: if your disc is over 1/16" your in great shape and rust is your only enemy. If not, Fulton has a new one for you.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
08/16/2004 9:19 PM Pacific Time

How many turns to get your keel down?

I was at a race and there were numbers from pro’s from 86 to 40 on the number of turns it took to lower the keel. Mine is 28 turns with a new cable. Some thought my keel might not be going all the way down.

What is your number?

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
08/17/2004 4:02 AM Pacific Time

47 exactly!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/17/2004 5:38 AM Pacific Time

The old small diameter hubs are about 45 +/- turns,. while the new large diameter hubs are about 25 +/- turns. I have never heard of any winch with greater than 50 turns.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
04/08/2005 9:50 AM Pacific Time

I am refurbishing a 1976 C-22. The winch is in good condition (some minor surface rust), but the winch handle is missing. Any suggestions as to where I can get one? or Does anyone have one left over from when they had replaced theirs that they would be willing to part with?

Peter
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
04/10/2005 4:20 PM Pacific Time

Hi, you can try west marine, boat us, or ebay if you want a used one.

You want the right size lever handle to make the work easier based on the size of winch you have. I'm not mathematically/engineering minded, but I'm sure those on the board that are can fill you in.

Good luck
Jim Holliday
Siloam Springs, Arkansas

Boat Name: Gandalf

Model/Year: Cat 22/74

Hull No. 3436

Hailing Port: Grand Lake/NE Oklahoma
04/11/2005 7:27 AM Pacific Time

Peter,
I have an old handle you can have. Contact me at [email protected].
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
04/11/2005 7:50 AM Pacific Time

I have a non standard winch which is a worm drive and therefore not reversible put on by previous owner who wanted it easy for his wife to turn the only probllem is that it is about 200 turns but very easy , I please dont tell me it is not safe -- it is non reversable , just throwing this in as someone else out there may have same thing and be worried

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Winch