Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C22 kickup rudder problem

Author C22 kickup rudder problem
Ron Brassord
Lighthouse Point Florida

Boat Name: Mallard

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987]

Hull No. 13480

Hailing Port: Lighthouse Point Fl
09/01/2012 6:34 AM Pacific Time

We have sailed our new [1987] C22 a few times and all seems well now except the rudder will not lock down. I take up on the tension handle as hard as I can and it has little effect. Under way the blade justs kicks up and steering is difficult.
I have read some of the optioms which call for a lot of disaccembly and repair which may be beyond are ability..
The bolt moves freely. and I think we could put plastic shims in OK.
My question is. since we are docked in a deep water area and sail in open ocean. we have no need for a shallow water kickup. Would it be feasable to drill a hole through the plates and the glass blade to insert a bolt or pin and lock down the blade semi permently?
Good sailing Ron B
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/02/2012 6:15 AM Pacific Time

Hi Ron,

I have a 1970 C22 and my rudder has a friction locking bolt on the rudder with an aluminum handle to control the tension. This is where the top of the rudder blade pivots in the housing. If you are tightening your tiller bolt you are not helping yourself at all. Perhaps the previous owner damaged the the original tightening handle on the rudder and replaced it with a simple nut. This is where I would look. My rudder has two aluminum disks that look like small saucers on each side and these each have three "legs" that protrude through holes in the rudder housing and contact the actual rudder. By adjusting the tension on these disks you control the ability of the rudder to kick up.

If you send me some pics to [email protected] I perhaps can help you more.

Good luck.

Greg
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
09/02/2012 8:59 AM Pacific Time

Ron: Yes you can put a pin thru the lower portio of the Aluminum side plates on the rudder. On my boat, I used a 1/4" wooden dowel as the pin. Drill the hole thru the plates and the rudder with a slightly oversized drill bit so the 1/4 inch dowel will go in easily.
I drilled mine on the aft portion of the aluminum plate where it curves up from the bottom to the aft. I drilled about 1" in from the edge of the aluminum plate where I got a good portion of the actual rudder blade itself also. I found that if you stain or varnish the dowels, they dont absorb the water as fast and they dont get soft and mushy.
the good part of this is if you do hit something, the pin will shear off and you shouldnt have any damage to the rudder itself.

good luck

Mike Bracket
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
09/02/2012 1:04 PM Pacific Time

The three "legs" in those aluminum disks that Greg describes can also dig gouges in the fiberglass rudder blade causing the blade not to lock down. If you removed the blade from the casting, you would see exactly where the disks contact the blade. If those gouges get too deep then you will never lock that rudder down. It is an easy fix and a good first timer fiberglass repair. Grind out the gouges and bevel the edges then build it back up with glass cloth and either polyester resin or epoxy resin.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
09/02/2012 1:06 PM Pacific Time

Since the repair is under the casting, you don't really have to worry about how it looks.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/02/2012 2:50 PM Pacific Time

Hi:
Why don't you just trade your 'kick up' for a blade and a few bucks? Someone needs a kick up but has a blade he/she doesn't need!
Ron Brassord
Lighthouse Point Florida

Boat Name: Mallard

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987]

Hull No. 13480

Hailing Port: Lighthouse Point Fl
09/03/2012 5:21 PM Pacific Time

I have the rudder apart and I think solved the problem. The thrads on the ss bolt were badly corroded and did not allow a full tightening. A wire brushing and now there is full take up and lock doown.
It seems my rudder blade is a solid piece of something similiar to Starboard. There is no sign of wear or groves. On the metal cheeks there is a small hole just below the main pivot pin hole. On the blade there is the round head of a small bolt protruding that matches up with this hole in the full down position. Relaxing the pin bolt lets the blade snap in to the the hole which captures it from swinging up. So, I think I am OK to go? If not then I drill and pin.
I appreciate your interest and help. Ron B
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/04/2012 4:52 AM Pacific Time

It sounds to me like you have solved your problem. Have a great fall. I am a farmer and since I am about to get really busy I pulled my boat yesterday and brought her home. It was a sad day.

gg

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C22 kickup rudder problem