Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel cable in rough headseas

Author keel cable in rough headseas
Ron Brassord
Lighthouse Point Florida

Boat Name: Mallard

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987]

Hull No. 13480

Hailing Port: Lighthouse Point Fl
09/05/2012 8:52 AM Pacific Time

A question about handling our newly asquired swing keel C22 in a bad headsea. I've no experioance with a swing keel after 60+ years of sailing.
All our sailing is done in the Gulfstream outside Hillsboro Inlet Florida. Getting through the inlet can be nasty especially in an ebb tide against an east breeze. A bad steep chop develops that will stand a small boat on end, and then crashing down.
How best to set the keel? I would think if it is all the way down, it might swing back and then snap foward and put a bad strain on the cable?? I don't think the locking bolt would be effective enough? Maybe keep the keel full up until reaching calm water? Or part way down?
Resolving this is not something I would like to do by trrial and error. How best to handle a long slough in a headsea? I have a 9.9 hp so plenty of power. yes we could sail only calm days and we do, but the inlet lumps up even then. A flood tide with wind and current together it's nicely calm but that takes a lot of timing to catch.
I appreciate any advice Ron B

Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
09/05/2012 3:01 PM Pacific Time

Leave the cable fully down. The weight of the keel/centerboard is enough to keep it hanging down, at least in my experiences in similar circumstances you describe.

Good luck on the 22!!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel cable in rough headseas