Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Dodgers versus Biminis

Author Dodgers versus Biminis
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
09/16/2012 9:41 AM Pacific Time

I have just purchased my Catalina 22 and am wondering about the pluses and minuses of a Dodger versus a Bimini. My area is the British Columbia Gulf Islands and I plan to sail in the winter as well as the warmer months.
Peter Snyder
Ringgold, GA

Boat Name: Windabout

Model/Year: 1978 sk Catalina 22

Hull No. 8329

Hailing Port: Lake Chickamauga, TN
09/16/2012 10:55 AM Pacific Time

Bill, I have a bimini, but no dodger. I ran into a situation this summer with about four foot waves and lots of spray when I wished I had a dodger. What would be ideal is a bimini with a snap on dodger that could be deployed when needed. Does anybody have a pattern for one?
Bill McMahon

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

09/16/2012 10:57 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Peter...I'll stay tuned
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
09/16/2012 12:41 PM Pacific Time

On the C22 I recently sold, I had a bimini and a dodger. The dodger was not a full wrap around, but one for the top of the poptop. (Not a poptop enclosure, but a dodger. )
It was very effective for sailing/motoring into a breeze, and with a tiller pilot, I was able to stand inside the boat and observe while underway. The doger I had came from an IP-27, and the frame fit my cabin top opening perfectly, and the canvas never was recut forward, although it did have two very small 'rolls'. With Isenglass (sp?) on the sides and forward, the didger offered great visibility, and was overlapped a bit at its aft end by the bimini. I mostly used the doger while motoring, but in conjunction with the bimini, I was very well protected.

You won't go wrong with both, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the Bimini first as you can do lots of hot-rainy sailing/motoring with it as the C22's boom gives ample clearance to do so. My Bimini was coaming mounted in order to be dropped easily and give room for me to go forward on deck.

I am sure I have some pictures somewhere, but won't look for them at this time.
I should be kicked for selling my 22!!!!
Bill McMahon

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

09/17/2012 2:55 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Larry...Bimini it will be...and a thick pair of goggles!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/17/2012 7:19 PM Pacific Time

I'd go with the Bimini for your location. Get tracks that allow you to mount and move the frame. Just as a note, my husband and I sailed the San Juans many years ago on our C22 and went to Ganges Harbor on Salt Spring Isld. We loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat.
Bill McMahon

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

09/26/2012 4:43 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Lynn! Look me up if you come up again. Mine will be re-christened Kahuna Iki.
Since Bimini is the consensus,can anyone recommend a good supplier?
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/26/2012 9:19 PM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

There are many companies offering Biminis. However, I would first consider checking out the host of the forum - Catalina Direct. They have a nice selection.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Dodgers versus Biminis