Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Propane catalytic heaters

Author Propane catalytic heaters
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
09/16/2012 11:09 AM Pacific Time

Anybody know anything about safety and efficacy of a catalytic heater in the Catalina 22 cabin? Extra ventilation, etc.?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/17/2012 7:27 PM Pacific Time

We use a Mr. Heater with a propane cylinder. Secure it so it doesn't move when the boat is rocked by a wake. Keep the hatch cracked slightly open for air. When we sleep, we heat up the cabin and turn it off when lights are out, then first one up in the morning lights it to warm up the cabin. I have a friend with a cruising boat who says they use a unpainted ceramic flower pot turned upside down over the burner on their stove which gives out a radiant heat. Never tried this myself, but think it would work, as long as you have a source for fresh air.
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
09/18/2012 7:27 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Lynn...I will use this strategy...cold is on the way in the B.C. Gulf Islands.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/19/2012 7:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi Lynn, are you talking about the "Model No: MH4B - Little Buddy" heater that uses a 1 lb bottle of LP gas? They says that it will run about 5.5 hours. Has this been your experience (if you're using this model). Thanks.
Peter
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/19/2012 12:56 PM Pacific Time

Yes I think that is the one. We don't camp in very cold conditions or during winter months, except in AZ as "snowbirds". Night temps have never been under 40 degrees (Pacific Northwest, Lake Tahoe, SF Bay, AZ, etc.) so never paid attention to how many hours per cylinder we got. I guess it could vary depending on if you have the valve full open or slightly opened. It's nice to be able to use the same size cylinder to the Magma BBQ, cylinder stove adapter and heater. And the heat in the damp environment keeps the boat dry and toasty for its size. We carry three cylinders in a Sunbrella hanging case from the stern pulpit, and if boat camping longer, have unopened cylinders in an enclosed Rubbermaid storage bin. By the way, I saw that Cabelos had the Mr. Buddy on sale this week, if you have a store in your area.

Lynn

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Propane catalytic heaters