Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Cabin leak at shroud chainplate base

Author Cabin leak at shroud chainplate base
Bill McMahon
Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada

Boat Name: Kahuna

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1981

Hull No. CTYH10009M81

Hailing Port: Ganges Harbour, Salt Spring Island, B.C., Canada
11/04/2012 3:21 PM Pacific Time

I have a slow drip leak in the cabin ceiling at the port, aft shroud chain plate. I am contemplating dropping the mast to install new halyards, a jib down haul and mast head VHF antenna. Any advice on addressing the chain plate water leak and whether this could foreshadow anything more serious?
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
11/05/2012 7:35 AM Pacific Time

It may be worth the effort to install new chain plates. When I removed my old ones three of the bolts snapped off. Stainless steel is great but when it gets old it tends to fail quickly. The new chain plates have a larger diameter bolt.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/05/2012 10:27 PM Pacific Time

Like Reggie said, old and smaller could be a disaster waiting to happen especially since the uppers, forestay and backstay are what holds the mast up. Being the boat is at Salt Springs Island (in salt water enviornment) corrosion has or will occur at a much faster rate than in a fresh water environment like where I live and sail. So be very vigilent about checking your forestay, backstay and upper shrouds wire and connections on a regular schedule, especially if you don't know how old they are.
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
11/07/2012 8:05 PM Pacific Time

Do it NOW. I lost a mast while sailing in the Chesapeake. It is not fun. Those sails get really heavy when they fill with water. The bolts corrode where they pass through. Stainless needs to be exposed to the air. When it passes through the deck it is no longer as good a protection.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Cabin leak at shroud chainplate base