Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / double-line vertically-oriented fairlead?

Author double-line vertically-oriented fairlead?
Blake Young
Waco, TX

Boat Name: Forever Young

Model/Year: Catalina 22 (1985)

Hull No. 12753

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
02/01/2013 3:56 PM Pacific Time

Long story short, I am trying to run four lines aft to the cockpit, but I have a very narrow space in which to do it. I only have enough width to run two lines maximum side-by-side. What I am looking for is, for lack of a better description, a double-line vertically-oriented fairlead. Essentially like this one, just oriented vertically instead of horizontally:

http://www.colligomarine.com/Line-guides-and-padeyes/Line-Guide-2-Line.htm

I would have two of these double vertical fairleads next to each other to lead the 4 lines aft.

Does such a thing exist?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/02/2013 9:33 AM Pacific Time

I don't think those will work as turning blocks, either for strength or function. The pressure and the movement needs to be supported by a rotating sheave for holding power. What you link showed is to guide a rope straight, not turn it. If you are wanting to turn your controls from the mast end to the cockpit you would want to use turning blocks that rotate and have have moveable sheeves. These can be mounted using a mast organizer under the base plate of the mast, or mounted individualy to the deck at the base of the mast. First you need to have a turn at the mast bottom with a swivel block. then go out to the side and turn towards the cockpit using multiple deck organizer. CD sells these or you can just look at their pictures, or you can look up Ronstan, Harkern, Shafer or Garhauer who have supplied parts to Catalina Yachts. If your room is limited back to the cockpit, consider moving your handrails to the poptop and stacking two of the deck organizers where you need the turn. When laying out how you want the line to end up always start from the cockpit and work back to the bottom of the mast as a test run. On my starboard side I have the main halyard go to a clutch/winch and the cunningham and continuous reef line go to cam cleats on either side. On the port side I have my jib halyard go to a clutch/winch in the middle and the outhaul and boom vang go to cam cleats. I use a boom kicker so don't need a topping lift line, but could add one if needed. I use a triple deck organizer on each side with this arrangement. Of course all this stuff is steel with sheaves so will last longer and do a lot less damage than what you referenced when it fails. Rigging reference pictures are available for CD and at www.catalina22.org if you purchase their membership. Also at Catalina22.org you can find a Catalina 22 Fleet nearest you and maybe get a mentor who can come by and help you out.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / double-line vertically-oriented fairlead?