Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Boom Maintenance

Author Boom Maintenance
Steve Linsk
Gig Harbor, WA

Boat Name: MAJiK

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
04/03/2013 7:22 AM Pacific Time

Restoring my 1987 C22 and having the mast & boom painted. Cannot figure out how to remove the gooseneck assembly and end cap (on opposite end of boom) for the life of me. It wiggles but won't come out. I suspect it may have been attached with clear silicone sealant (as used on shower stall glass seams in homes). Can anyone tell me how to get these annoying buggers off so I can get my boom painted?
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
04/03/2013 1:39 PM Pacific Time

When I painted mine, I removed screws/pop rivets wherever they were in the goose neck and end of the boom. Then, the ends came out. If you don't see anything holding them in, you may have to yank them. Check closely, however, to make sure you do not have any internal rigging. You would note that by line coming from inside the boom. Good luck.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/04/2013 1:10 PM Pacific Time

try heating it and if it oooozes you know a sealer was used. otherwise it may be corrosion binding it.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
04/04/2013 6:32 PM Pacific Time

I forgot about the corrision, Lynn. Good call!

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Boom Maintenance