Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Window Removal

Author Window Removal
Jim
Kaukauna, WI

Boat Name: Tyderium

Model/Year: 72

Hull No. 822

Hailing Port:
04/20/2013 3:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi guys, I just picked up a 72 Hull 822. She's a good boat in nice shape but I do need to redo the window seals. The original "puddy" material that is holding the frames into the fiberglass is as hard as a rock. I don't want to get too brutal and damage the window. Any ideas how to get those suckers out. Thanks.

Actually I am going to totally strip the boat and rebed everything. It's really not that huge of a job and I think it will be worth it just for the dryness factor and keeping moisture out of the laminate.
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
04/21/2013 6:11 AM Pacific Time

If you have a heat gun that would probably loosen up the old caulking. Be careful when re-installing the windows as they are safety glass, some of the caulking/bedding compounds can attack the plastic middle layer and turn it cloudy. That happened on my boat, I had one cut by a glass company as a replacement and they told me to use rubber caulking compound as it would not attack the inner layer. But butyl rubber is a mess to work with so be careful and mask off a generous area around the window frame.
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
04/22/2013 6:56 AM Pacific Time

Check with Catalina Direct and see if they have a kit.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
04/23/2013 6:11 AM Pacific Time

Yes, Catalina Direct dot com does have a kit. I know some guys who have used it with great success.
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
04/23/2013 8:23 AM Pacific Time

I have done the same and finished one window. It is not an easy job but the directions that come with the kit are great. My C22 is hull 1803. You need to check with CD to make sure the kit will work with your model.

Hans Schweikert
Perkiomenville, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/ 1981

Hull No. 10197

Hailing Port: Lake Nockamixon
05/22/2013 12:57 PM Pacific Time

I just got done re-installing my last window. The job was a bit more involved than I first imagined, but it worked out. My windows came out pretty easily, needing only a little coaxing with a spackle blade to break the 'seal' formed by the old goop. Most of the time was spent removing said goop, getting the frames spic and span. Removing old silicon is the worst. I bought CD's Window rebuild kit, and found that the Dow Corning 795 tube of silicon supplied IS NOT a sufficient amount to do this job. Luckily, I checked the tube BEFORE starting window 3. You can't run out in the middle of a window. Keep the rubber channel that goes around the edge of the glass somewhat tight to avoid bulges. Crazy glue worked nicely to join the two ends, something completely unaddressed in CD's instructions. Once window is rebuilt, dry fit window to work out any problems. Mask the boat with blue tape 1/16" or 1/8" beyond the edge of frame. Apply generous amount of the 3M 4200 around window frame, and align it in place with pressure while someone inside boat screws retainer back on. Keep plenty of dry junk wash clothes handy, along with some acetone. This stuff is messy! I bought a whole box of latex gloves so I could keep peeling them as they got goop on them. Got to "Chip Ahoy" website for some good pictures and insight. He had the right idea: send out the frames to be powder coated. I wanted to get back to sailing so bad that I reinstalled ugly frames. Good luck

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Window Removal