Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Water in bilge

Author Water in bilge
todd
racine, wi

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22, 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Racine, WI
06/27/2013 10:06 AM Pacific Time

I'm restoring a 1979 C-22 out of the water that continually has water in multiple parts of bilge and cabin. I have not been able to sit in it during a downpour and have been stymied as there is not obvious source. Hatch and companionway, deck, scupper hoses all seem fine. I assume it is leaky windows having read the posts, however it does get into separated areas such as in the holds in the v-berth and under the cockpit. I assume this could be from condensation. It does add up under the main cabin though if left for a few months ~ 3". Has anyone experienced this? I assume not, but could it be from spider cracks in the hull? Thanks
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/28/2013 12:06 PM Pacific Time

Spider cracks are cosmetic cracks in the gelcoat. If they get large enough where you see fiberglass or open sky then you have a problem which can be reparied. Your most likely culprits are deck to hull seam, windows, hatch board gaps, lazerrete, pop top and forward hatch lids, bedding of anything that penetrates the boat including, installed ladders, motor mounts, and gudgeons, keel tightening bolt, etc. etc. especially if a very old boat. Recommend using butyl tape instead of goop for re-bedding anything you can get your hands on. You didn't say if the leaks appeared after sailing or while on the hard or at dock. Having someone dousing the boat with a hose while you are down below may answer where the water is coming from. But sometimes it just migrates, like the time my lights were oozing water. I don't know of any boat that is water tight (even submarines leak) so consider your work as deferred maintenance and try to get to it a project at a time, so you can at least get some sailing time in.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/28/2013 2:03 PM Pacific Time

is the boat in the water at a slip when you are not sailing? do you notice more when you are sailing or immediately thereafter? does the port forward dinette seat locker have water in it?
it could be the lock down bolt or possibly the volcano fitting might be compromised in the hull.
just need to go thru it in small steps to see where it may be coming from. if you get water inside the light fixtures, it is most likely the window frame to deckhouse seal.
good luck
Hans Schweikert
Perkiomenville, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/ 1981

Hull No. 10197

Hailing Port: Lake Nockamixon
02/13/2014 12:34 PM Pacific Time

I had water below the cockpit and lazarette area, and some in cabin. The cabin turned out to be leaky window (used CD kit which didn't supply enough caulk but worked well. Not a one person job.) and the other leak was from two places: leaky lazarette hinge mounting point and failed sealant around fuel vent cowls. And the cowls themselves let wasps into the boat to make nests, so I found rubber covers to close off holes. I either take my small gas jug home when not in use, or place the whole thing into a plastic trash bag (contractor grade). I also had some very minor drips from some deck hardware through bolts, easily fixed with butyl tape, which is 1000% easier to work with than 3M 4200, and is a 100% fix. My boat is now bone dry. The best method is to be inside the boat during a heavy down pour. Keep a flashlight and a notepad handy.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Water in bilge