Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Stem Fitting Location

Author Stem Fitting Location
Chris Roles
AZ

Boat Name: Crosswind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2013 12:47 AM Pacific Time

I'm fairly new to my C22 and have a question regarding exactly where it should be installed.

I noticed that on my boat the fitting is located just aft of a small anchor roller. Pictures of other C22s seem to show the fitting located right at the bow.

Is this a difference of years or was the stem fitting moved aft to accomodate the roller?

I'm interested in the stainless bow roller sold here on CD but not sure if it will work with the current fitting position.

Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/24/2013 11:44 PM Pacific Time

Anchor rollers are add on's by owners aftermarket, so it sounds like the stem fitting was moved aft from the original design/installation. Without seeing a picture of exactly where the stem fitting was moved, it would be hard to say if the CD anchor roller will work. I would take a pic and send it to CD and ask them what they think. As for the engineering consequences of moving the stem fitting aft, I'd call Catalina Yachts and speak to someone in engineering. They probably also want a picture of the current location of the stem fitting.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/24/2013 11:53 PM Pacific Time

I forgot to add that, on a C22 the anchor roller is usually to the side of the stem fitting. I don't understand why someone would move the stem fitting back to put a anchor roller in front of it. You may also want to contact Tom Errickson at the Sail Boat Shop, Lake Pleasant, AZ. He is a Catalina dealer for AZ. Your profile didn't say where you are from except in AZ. IWe "Snowbird" at the resort there and I will take my 1989 C22 wing keel there this November, so hope we may cross paths.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Stem Fitting Location