Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Help! Keel Cable Attachment Broken

Author Help! Keel Cable Attachment Broken
Bryan Guzek
Scituate, MA

Boat Name: Victoria Jean

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/25/2013 3:48 PM Pacific Time

Hello I have a 1973 22' with the swing keel. I picked it up for short money and have been fixing what needs to be fixed. The PO provided me with a new keel cable kit because it obviously needed fixing. Today I jacked up the boat to get access to the keel and noticed that there is no attachment point! I'm sure people have come across this before so I am hoping for some ideas for a safe fix. A link to the photo is below, HELP!

[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/upslims/media/keel.jpg.html][IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/upslims/keel.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
07/26/2013 9:28 AM Pacific Time

On CD's website, look at part numbers D1132, Z2270, and Z2271. Those should fix you up. Happy sailing!
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/26/2013 11:03 AM Pacific Time

Are you talking about the head of the keel or the back? Sometimes on older models an owner may have fiberglassed over the keel pivot holding blocks and bolts because they were bad. Saw this on hull number 75 recently. Only way to fix is to cut out the old brackets, redo the area with a large fiberglass patch, buy the hanging parts from CD or Catalina Yachts and redo the whole thing. I believe there are C22 sailors on the yahooCatalina22.com chat room who have done this. As for the back attachment with the cable, check with CD or Catalina Yachts for the parts if you need them.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Help! Keel Cable Attachment Broken