Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Long distance c22 cruising

Author Long distance c22 cruising

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/03/2004 6:29 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone done any month long cruising on a c22. I am interested in the problems & discomforts that came up on such a cruise. What did you carry with you in the way of provisions & spare parts, tools. Did you huge the coast line all the way. Have you got a really good porta poti brand name for the c22. Most I have looked at are to large to stow.
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
04/03/2004 2:18 PM Pacific Time

Bob, Fleet 77 has some good tips, ideas and a list of what you might be looking for ....
here is their site...
http://c22fleet77.tripod.com/id46.htm

Sounds like FUN!
Jimmy
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/03/2004 11:39 PM Pacific Time

Hello:
Extended cruising is all we (my wife Sharon & I) do. We go for a minimum of a week and often go for two months at a time. We always anchor out and never stay in marinas unless it is an organized cruise. We usually live better on the boat than we do at home. Some of the keys to long term cruising seem to be: a well maintained boat and engine; redundancy of basic necessary equipment; good chart kits; good anchors; a well stocked galley; a variety of sails to handle various conditions; and an acceptance of the fact that it is "camping" on the water and you are willing to live accordingly. I could write a book on how we do it but I will just respond to your questions for now. We usually have very few problems. When we leave on a trip we are prepared for just about anything up to and including the sinking of the boat. I must say that I do not pinch penies when buying necessary equipment and I firmly believe in having my outboard professionally maintained. Discomforts are minimal and their frequency of occurence can be significantly reduced with a little planning and experience. For instance I almost always anchor with two anchors in a V pattern. That way the boat doesn't sail back and forth at anchor and consequently doesn't rock and roll a lot and I sleep well because I don't have to worry about the anchors dragging in the middle of the night. Provisions (a short list): meats frozen hard; canned vegetables; canned meats; boxed starch meals (rice & pasta); frozen juice concentrate for morning rehydration; "Nido" = dehydrated Whole milk in a can; wine (does not require refrigeration); pickles; apples; cheeses; nuts; etc.. Dehydrated milk, eggs, cheeses, mustard, & ketchup are just a few of the items that do NOT reguire refrigeration. We use a double burner propane camping stove and cook in the cockpit. We use good teflon coated pans and heavy duty paper plates. Dishes can be just wiped off with paper towels or just a tiny bit of water and wet paper towels to get sticky stuff off. Really messy dishes can be washed in sea water. We always take a complete tool box and lots of spare hardware and parts but seldom have a need for them. If you have confidence in your boat there is no reason why you can't stray away from shore. A rigid dinghy is a great life boat. I just use the standard portapotti that came with the boat. I also have a spare holding tank (left over from an earlier potti). You can significantly extend you potti holding tank by urinating in a urinal (both men and women) or women can use a 5 gallon bucket and dump them as you go. Garbage is always an issue to be dealt with. We compact everything as much as we can. Cans can be flattened also. Every so often we sail far off shore and sink our bottles and cans of we do not have access to shore side facilities. Never throw floating garbage (especially plastic) into the water. Bathing is another issue: We wash in the sea. We have found that is you dry off right away there is no residual salt to bother you. Good hats (not baseball caps) and sunscreen are a must. We have also found hospital type scrubs to be very good to wear on the boat. They are light and yet provide good coverage and dry very rapidly if you get them wet. Bug protection is also important to take. Well that is a start. Let us know if you have any questions?
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/04/2004 3:56 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the question, Bob, and thanks for the detailed response, Philip and Sharon!

I'm planning on taking Chip Ahoy north up along the Maine coast for the month of August, and have meant to thank Philip and Sharon for the great "personal cruising guide" they wrote of their experience doing likewise and were generous enough to mail to me. It's full of tips, advice and specific locations from their Maine cruise. Thanks Philip and Sharon! You ought to consider putting together a book on your extended cruising experiences aboard Swizzle Stick!

In my younger days two decades back, for five years I lived aboard and extensively cruised old wooden boats that we'd restored, so I'm comfortable with the basics like what to bring along and the concept of "roughing it." Of course, we had a lot more room aboard a 48' ketch or the 60' Alden schooner than a 22' Catalina -- but then we had a crew of 4-6 to provision for and I'll be singlehanding up the Maine coast.

I bought and installed a Thetford Marine Head (#885 - batteries-operated) last spring and it fit almost perfectly on the portside between the V-berth and bulkhead forward of the galley table, except that it's forward edge is about 1/2" too tall to replace the aft-most board to support the V-berth cushion. As I use the V-berth only for storage (sails, canvas overnight bag with clothes, etc.), I've just left the board at home. The porta-potti is there, but I never used it last year. I expect it'll come in handy though on my way north.

In my opinion, I've got no problem cruising off-shore so long as the weather looks promising. I think that's the trick: knowing the weather ahead and when to head in if necessary -- and where the nearest shelter is if required.

Extended cruising eventually is what I had in mind when I bought my first boat after being landlocked for two decades. Once I finish getting Chip Ahoy better set up to singlehand in the weeks ahead (last year's goal was to restore it to functionality; this year it's to make it 100% singlehandable), I'm looking forward to August "Downeast" later this summer!

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/05/2004 8:53 AM Pacific Time

Jimmy,Phillip & Sharon, Chip,
Thank you for your answers to my crusing question.
Here is what I plan on doing. I would like to single handed sail For Sail from Central Florida down the Atlantic coast into the Gulf of Mexico staying not too far off shore up the Florida coast and over to Texas staying say o more than 10 miles off the coast in clam seas. I have no idea how long that will take me and it will be hurricane season. Just of the top of my head that's about a 3,000 mile trip one way at an average speed of say 4 knots with luck. Chip I'll check out that porta poti # My V berth is my queen size very comfortable bed. I use the storage area under it. Phillip & Sharon do you have a website? Tnx, Bob
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/05/2004 11:26 PM Pacific Time

Bob:

When do you plan on doing this trip?

Here are some insights from my experiences and the experiences of friends. The intracoastal waterway south of Melbourne becomes very narrow and requires a lot of motoring unless the wind is from a favorable direction. There is a lot of power boat traffic the farther south that you go. I have heard a lot of positive things about crossing Florida from Stuart through Lake Okeechobee and on west. When sailing the Gulf coast once you get north of Clearwater you have to remain pretty far off shore because it is so shallow. Sailing in the Gulf when it is very windy can be very difficult and unpleasant. The shallow waters tend to cause very steep, close together, and high swells to form (I have experienced conditions where the swells were breaking over my C22 and filling the cockpit each time). Years ago I lived in St Petersburg and there tended to be limited if any wind in the summer. Also it seems that it is always the Gulf where many of the tropical storms develop. I recommend doing several shorter cruises in the most favorable areas: 1) the Keys; 2)perhaps the cross Florida trip; 3) Captiva Island to Clearwater; 4) Panhandle to Alabama area (can get information from the organizers of the Annual Gulf Coast Cruise); 5) Keys to Fort Jefferson to Ft Myers to St Petersburg (I plan to do that trip sometime --- have already been to Ft Jefferson once). I don't know about anything farther West.

If you decide to do a trip in Florida from one point to another I would be happy to pick you up with your tow rig at the end point if I am available.

Hopefully this info will be helpful.

Philip & Sharon

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/06/2004 12:39 PM Pacific Time

Have you taken your C22 to Fort Jefferson?

Greg
Jimmy Lotufo
New Jersey

Boat Name: brisey_h

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12275

Hailing Port: Alki Beach
04/06/2004 5:51 PM Pacific Time

Bob,
I am hoping that when you come back from your awesome sail, you will bring back some digital pictures and tales of your voyage to post here!
I want to know how you make out on this trip as I will one day be doign the same....
Jimmy
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/06/2004 11:50 PM Pacific Time

Greg:
Yes I have sailed my C22 from Key West to Fort Jefferson and back. I did a week long trip in the spring. Fort Jefferson and the National Park are a really neat place to visit. However, the sailing back was killer!!! Turns out the prevailing wind blew out of the east at 20 - 25 knots the entire week (it never went around the compass). I waited several extra days to leave but finally had to go despite the weather since three of us had to be back to work. The sail back was exhausting and I encountered some very large seas. The shallow water of the Gulf makes for some very high and steep seas that have short duration between each swell. Some of them appeared to be at least a third to half the height of my mast and frequently broke over the boat and filled the cockpit each time. The entire crew was very impressed however I felt reassured knowing that as long as I kept the boat closed up and the hatch didn't break we probably would be alright. We survived but learned some valuable lessons. I definitely plan to return to Fort Jefferson but will sail from the Keys to Ft Jefferson and then on to Ft Myers and maybe up to St Pete. That way I won't have to battle the relentless prevailing winds from the East.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/07/2004 6:42 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for getting back with me. When you return back to Fort Jefferson other than your sailing to St. Pete on your return, would you do anything different? Do you have some type of inflatable you take with you?
When you go to the Bahamas do you know where you will depart from? and when do you plan on going? Greg

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/07/2004 8:11 PM Pacific Time

Greg:
In regards to Ft Jefferson === I will never again try to beat into such strong winds with my C22 for such a long period of time !!! I decided that it would have been better to sail on a beam reach to Ft Myers but I had no one available to move my tow rig to the new end point. Having someone available to move the tow rig would be a big plus. Otherwise it was a great sail. I would never go off shore without a dinghy. I bought a brand new inflatable for the trip to Ft Jefferson and have never used it since (it sits in my garage). I now own a hard shell "Trinka" which is a wonderful dinghy. It goes everywhere with us and can handle all conditions. It is not only our transportation to shore in an anchorage but also our life boat.
We will be leaving for the Bahamas from Key Largo (Pennekamp State Park). They have very good facilities at that park. We will be departing the first week of June for Bimini.
Philip

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/09/2004 9:30 AM Pacific Time

Everyone,
Thanks for your comments! They are very helpful and have changed my original plans (Phillip). I respect the sea very much and intend on hugging the coast. If I can't then I will Trailer to a point that I think I can sail from safely. I will journal the sail by day, FYI!

My plans are to start trip in 2006 but journal progress south starting in May 04 from Melbourne, Fl. and hopping from inlet to inlet as the weather allows.
Greg Phillips
Tennille,Ga

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1981 C22

Hull No. 10161

Hailing Port: Lake Sinclair, Milledegville, Ga
04/14/2004 5:48 AM Pacific Time

Philip,

I am very familiar with Pennekamp, I used to do a lot of diiving just south of Elliott Key.

The hard dink you spoke of. I assume you tow it behind the boat correct? any problems with that? Do you have a motor for it? If so, where do you keep it?

When you make your trip in June and July to the Bahamas, do you know how far you will go? or just take it one day at a time? Please keep us posted on your trip either during or after.

Thanks
Greg
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/15/2004 11:37 PM Pacific Time

Our hard dinghy is a Trinka. They are made right here in Vero Beach, Florida. They row and tow exceptionally well.
I have towed it in rough conditions without any problem. They have a drain in the bottom that can be opened during towing in case you think you are going to ship some water. I do not use a motor on it.
In the Bahamas we will be taking one day at a time but we plan on going as far South as we can. Initially we will be taking some of the standard, well used routes but as soon as we feel comfortable with the new area we will head off the beaten path. We will update everyone when we return in August as we will have no means of comunication when we are over there.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/18/2004 6:08 PM Pacific Time

Phillip & Sharon,
Don't forget to bring an equalizer or two with you. I have, as I am sure you have heard, some pretty horrible stories of others that have done the same thing you and Sharon plan on doing. They have run into some pretty nasty people over there in paradise that could care less about you. I think you already know this!
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/23/2005 5:54 AM Pacific Time

Phillip and Sharon,
When you were sailing in the Gulf of Mexico, with winds in the 20-25Kt range, and seas that were 1/3 to 1/2 of the mast height, what was your sail rig? I presume a reef in the main. Was it the #2 working jib (the smaller of the two - not the #1 genoa), or a storm jib? Perhaps reefed main alone?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/24/2005 7:06 AM Pacific Time

Tim:
In conditions like that we always use the second set of reef points that we had installed in our main and the storm jib (75%). We have found that with main sail alone (when beating) our C22 can not maintain momentum when the seas are up (everytime we hit a wave the boat stops dead in the water and just starts drifting sideways). The jib seems to be the single most important factor in keeping the boat moving when sailing into the wind.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Long distance c22 cruising