Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom replacement

Author Boom replacement
Toby Marion
Tiburon, CA

Boat Name: #53 Grandad

Model/Year: Catalina 34 MKII

Hull No. 1369

Hailing Port: Tiburon (San Francisco)
02/21/2018 9:33 AM Pacific Time

Last Sunday we broke our boom in 25-30 kt winds while jibing off the NW side of Alcatraz Island.

Do you have any advice about replacing it? We have heard that Selden booms are very good. We also want to have the mast and standing rigging checked for strength and stability, though it seems unaffected.

Any advice on boat yards that can do this well in the North SF Bay?

Thanks,
Toby
Tinkerbell
Nook, Neverland

Boat Name: Mistress

Model/Year: Wings/Pixie Dust

Hull No. 14

Hailing Port: Stockton/Richmond CA
02/22/2018 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Hey Toby,
I saw this happen and I am sorry to hear about it as all I blew up was a spinnaker, a jib sheet and a hand... Did you know that Catalina Direct has in stock replacements in Sacramento? Check it out, https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3458_651/boom-extrusion-anodized--machined-c-30-c-34-c-36.cfm
Toby Marion
Tiburon, CA

Boat Name: #53 Grandad

Model/Year: Catalina 34 MKII

Hull No. 1369

Hailing Port: Tiburon (San Francisco)
03/04/2018 11:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi Tinkerbell,
many thanks for your reply! We are considering a Selden boom as that has been recommended for better strength. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Cheers,
Toby
Tinkerbell
Nook, Neverland

Boat Name: Mistress

Model/Year: Wings/Pixie Dust

Hull No. 14

Hailing Port: Stockton/Richmond CA
03/09/2018 3:38 PM Pacific Time

Hello Toby,
I am curious about Selden and their cost, availability and lead time. Also, how does the shipping compare as they are on the East coast? Does your mast have the correct fitting to accept a new Selden boom? Was Catalina Direct out of stock?

I am just trying to learn the pros and cons.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom replacement