Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor mount bracket

Author Motor mount bracket
paul
thatcher

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/06/2018 7:00 AM Pacific Time

Hey guys,

I have a Suzuki 9.9 hp ( i think it's a 2005). I believe a 20 inch long shaft. I'm on a Catalina 25

I've been told I need a different mounting bracket, as the prop will keep popping out of the water, in not very large waves. I'm sill in the bay.

Any suggestions on a motor mount, that will extend a little further down, putting my shaft deeper into he water?

Thanks
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
10/08/2018 4:06 PM Pacific Time

Hi Paul.

There are many factors that go into the decision about which motor mount to use. The sea state you motor in, shaft length, how high/low on the transom is your mount, etc. My advice is to mount your motor (securely) to your current mount and try it out for a bit. If there are no problems, then just go sailing. If there is a problem with your current setup coming out of the water too often, then look at CD's mounts. They have just over 17" of travel. You'll want to take the time to weigh your motor to determine the number of springs you'll need. Don't forget to tether your motor to the boat so you won't lose or destroy it if it vibrates off of your mount!

Kevin

_/)_

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Motor mount bracket