Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising Lake Champlain

Author Cruising Lake Champlain
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
04/04/2004 12:25 PM Pacific Time

Last August we bought our 1985 C-22 and keep it on Lake Champlain at Charlotte, VT. We plan to do extensive cruising this summer and want to hear from other C-22 owners who have been sailing there. There is currently not a fleet for C-22s on the Lake.

Thanks,

Rich Reisner
[email protected]
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
04/05/2004 5:08 AM Pacific Time

Rich, I haven't sailed on Champlain yet, though it's on my list.

However, If you want to try a "trailorsail" cruise, especially at the end of the season, you might want to try launching for a long weekend at the north end of Lake George. We did this a couple of times and are planning to go again soon.

The Lake George Islands State Park is a couple-hour sail south from the launch in Ticonderoga. It is a cluster of Islands with docks and campsites in "The Narrows" midway down the lake.

Hague at the north end and Bolton Landing in the middle are good towns for mid-trip provisioning, so you don't have to pack a ton of food.

The islands are jewels in some of the cleanest water you will ever sail on. As you know, a fall sail in your area also provides some of the most spectacular foliage in the Northeast (and no lines of "leaf-peepers" to follow!).

My kids live over that way, so we often kayak out to the islands from Bolton as well. The campsites are dry (bring water or a filter), with outhouses and some have their own docks. The park office is on the central island. I can never remember its name, but its marina is easily visible from your boat. Just motor down the center of the islands and you'll see it to your left.

Mind your depth if you leave the marked channels in the Narrows! There are lots of shoals, though they are easy to spot in the clear water.

The Narrows is about the northernmost end of the Lake George Village boat traffic, so we do all of our day sailing north of the islands and then go back to our site in the evening.

One thing that is great about the islands is the relative lack of bugs. They don't have the profusion of black flies followed by mosquitoes that plague your shores early in the summer. Over the years we've theorized why this is, but still don't have a good answer yet. But we feel blessed in our ignorance anyway!

Oh, also the Roger's Rock State Park at the north end has permanent moorings at the east end of the park, in addition to the oft-crowded dock. We stayed there on the way back last trip. The moorings are away from the lights and hub-bub of the center of the park, so we enjoyed the tranquility there.

Of course, if you like excitement, you could always sail south to Lake George Village. We haven't done it, because the tour boats, jet skis and cigarette boats are too much excitement for us. But the town definitely rocks during the summer...

I'll ask some of my non-Catalina friends over there if they have any info on Champlain cruising.

If you hear anything about Champlain cruising, please let me know.

Chip Lee
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

04/05/2004 5:33 AM Pacific Time

http://www.harborwatch.com/
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

04/05/2004 5:35 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Rich. My fingers are little clumsy this morning. The site above has some pretty good stuff on Champlain. Click on "cruising" at the top of the site for info.

Here it is again - http://www.harborwatch.com/

Chip
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
09/13/2004 6:34 PM Pacific Time

Rich,
I can't contribute any info on Lake Champlain as I just purchased my boat. I live down in Southern Vermont. Was wondering if you got out on the lake this year and can share some insights? Thanks
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
11/18/2004 6:11 PM Pacific Time

Rich--it's winter in Vermont. I have time to visit the clubhouse! We also have a C22 at charlotte and spent a week this summer between rainstorms sailing up to Burton Island, the State Park accessible only by water off St. Albans. Anchored at Shelburne Point, willsboro Bay, Valcour Island on the way up. and Valcour again on the way down. The second time was on a Friday, the harbor filled with large Canadian sailboats and power boats, and beside the lesson in humility being the smallest vessel among hundreds, we saw no advantage in staying, leaving saturday morning in the rain. I recommend the trip, the winds in the northern end of the lake can be intense (FUN!) and would do it again. Hope to see you in Charlotte next season! Bunky Bernstein
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
11/20/2004 8:00 PM Pacific Time

My 1977 Catalina 22 7200 I found this old boat after a year of searching

This is not my first sailboat. Prior to this I was sailing what is a 16 foot no name
With a centerboard and oversize mast that has a main sail volume larger than the 22

Understand I found here in what I call the pawn shop of boats .A used boat yard in Burlington VT
3 years of neglect at least
I spent this past summer going through “Joyful” my wife Joy named the boat
A lot of work Lots of scrubbing and very little time for anything else
This did not go over well with the misses but Its Early winter now Here in Vermont
The boat is in side an old barn dry and the keel is out and almost overhauled

I’m dying to sail her as soon as the ice melt so this is and old boat with a new love.

I have not sailed the lake either yet and I am looking forward to it also

As a new person in the 22 class, as many of us are, It would be wonderful if we could get together in one place
I was wondering why everyone goes to Charlotte to dock when I found a wonderful place on the lake in Orwell Vermont called Plunder bay the rates are $33 per foot per season its clean and well maintained and wonderful sailing at the southern end of the lake with the ability to go out into the larger part once you get comfortable
I too would love to start a Catalina club on Lake Champlain
If you’re interested in docking space in plunder bay and getting together next year
Drop me a line at keymastr@ sover.net

This should be a wonderful experience for all of us especially us new bees

Thanks Uwe
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
11/21/2004 4:18 PM Pacific Time

uwe, the Sailing Center in charlotte is cheaper than that--no dock space, but a dock to tie up your dinghy and a fee of about $500. per year to oversee your mooring. Orwell is more convenient to you, however. Good luck with Joyful! Richard.
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

01/08/2005 6:40 PM Pacific Time

To all, I am sorry for not keeping up on the this clubboard. We had a wonderful summer on the lake and hopefully can return next season. My health (Leukemia) may force us to stay away but will keep looking at the posting for up dates and hopefully can sail the Lake this season. It would be great for all C-22 interested to meet some weekend next season. Please e=mail me so we can start a group!

We also went as far north as Burton Island and south to Westport. We're considering up grades to do more cruising.

Happy New Yeal to all.

Rich & Sally Reisner
[email protected]
Royal Savage Yacht Club
Charlotte, VT
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

02/22/2005 2:56 AM Pacific Time

Sorry, its Nissan-Outboards.com (I forgot the "s") for the best web price.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

02/23/2005 5:15 AM Pacific Time

Hi Rich,definitely have been thinking about Champlain, but work is so irregular for the past two years it may be a last minute thing.

If you don't mind a last minute tag-a-long,Please let us know when you have dates. You can find me here or on Chip Ford's message list on chipford.com
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

04/23/2005 9:04 AM Pacific Time

Well, we're back in action. As mentioned in postings earlier this year, my Leukemia has been successfully treated so sailing in on for the season. We have planned and purchased many upgrades for our boat and will be working on it during May.

We would like to sail with other c22 on Lake Champlain or trailer to other northeast venues. Please contact us if you are interested. (email [email protected])

Our Royal Savage Yacht Club ($50 per year!) will again have a ten day cruise 7/1-10 going to Shelburne Bay, Valcour Island, Big Bay, Burton Island, Burlington and other locations. Those in the area a welcome to join us.

We will be updating our website in May with new pictures of our boat. Take a look later www.reisner.us.

Peace, Rich & Sally
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

05/25/2005 9:03 AM Pacific Time

Rich, I'm very happy to hear your treatment is working.

I'm thinking about coming over to Champlain in late summer/early fall for a long weekend.

Do you know how long a sail it is from Plattsburgh to Burlington? Is it even worth the trip across or should I simply start in Vermont?

I'm assuming the prevailing wind up there is the west-southwest that we see in most of upstate NY, but if it's a drag getting to or from Plattsburgh I'd skip the NY shore.

i've driven through both Burlington and Plattsburgh and Burlington's definitely the prettier shore. Can you recommend a couple of VT anchorages for a 3-4 night stay?

Thanks in advance, Chip Lee
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

06/14/2005 2:33 AM Pacific Time

Chip,

Good to hear from you. I only look at this thread a few times a month so sorry for the delay in responding.

Plattsburg to Burlington is about 12-14 miles, a good day sail. Depending on your taste, Burlington is our largest city. If you prefer a more quiet setting, there are good anchoring spots near Plattsburg & northeast of there.

Let me know what type of spots you like and I can give you some options.

Peace,

Rich & Sally Reisner
"Meant-2-Be"
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

06/15/2005 5:51 AM Pacific Time

Hi Rich,

MaryAnn and I particularly like small village docks, quiet marinas and state parks with relatively quiet docks and decent toilet facilities. MaryAnn has a few health concerns and this works out best for us.

If I'm by myself, I like secluded coves with good fishing and scenery and distance from the normal jet ski paths!

It looks from the highway that there a some possibilities for both types of anchorages in northern Champlain, plus I heard there is less of the clogging milfoil and water chestnut that's at the southern end of the lake. True?

Chip
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

06/16/2005 7:27 PM Pacific Time

Chip & Maryanne,

That's good, we also enjoy the same spots. Our club has planned ten-day cruise these part few years over the 4th of July up in the northern lake. Our cruise books are on our boat ready for launching tomorrow so I'll get them back inside over the weekend and give you specific plans for a visit and locatons. Hopefully we can join you on your cruise.

Rich & Sally
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

06/17/2005 11:25 AM Pacific Time

Chip & Maryanne,

If you launch from Plattsburg I suggest the following schedule:

First night Valcour Island (South of Plattsburg but on the Western side of the Lake), depending on wind direction, Bluff Point on the Wast side of the island (North or South anchorages); if to crowded, Sloop Cove on the East side (protection on all sides except the East which is an unuasual wind direction for the Lake) Hiking, restored light house (open on weekends)

Next stop Deep Bay which is above Cumberland Head (North on Valcour) at 75*23' and 45* 46.5'. Good protection frm all sided except South.

Next head east through what is called the Gut. After the draw bridge you go east to Burton Island State Park. Slips @ $1 per foot & moorings @ $0.75 per foot. Good park with land facilities (gas, pump-out, showers, breakfast & lunch and dinner on weekends). Great for hiking etc.

Return trip to Plattsburg could be done in one day, depending on wind directions.

Let us know of your plans and maybe we can meet up with you.

Peace,

Rich & Sally
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

06/19/2005 7:50 AM Pacific Time

Thanks very much, Rich & Sally!

My travel schedule this summer is still very much up in the air, so I can't even give you an approximate date right now, but by early August we should know more.

Thanks again for the info - exploring a new area is fun, but always easier with local knowledge. Hoping to catch up with you this summer!

Chip & MaryAnn
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

06/21/2005 7:31 PM Pacific Time

Chip & Maryann,

Great. Just let us know your plans. We have a wedding in late September so other than that we could probably meet you.

good sailing,

Rich & Sally
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

09/02/2006 6:48 AM Pacific Time

Anyone on this list call Lake Champlain Home? I'd be interested in talking about cruising up there.

Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

09/03/2006 8:36 AM Pacific Time

Chris,

We've been cruising the Lake for four years out of Charlotte at Point Bay Marina. We have just bought a 1984 Tartan 3000 (30') and have put our Catalina 22 up for sale.

Give us a call and we can talk about the Lake. Since we plan to be on the boat as much as possible, try our cell phone first.

Its a great place to sail.

Rich Reisner
[email protected]
802-496-7010 home
802-279-1222 cell
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
09/04/2006 1:42 PM Pacific Time

Rich Ive been on the lake for 2 years now on the south end in Plunder bay
ITS GREAT you cant beat the sailing weather it changes every day
checkout the joyful website for the fun we have around fort tycinsaroga
the sailing is great and the company too

Uwe
http://www.askbj.com/users/joyful/
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Hull No. 13049

09/06/2006 4:46 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the response. We love the lake spending our time between Westport to the south and Burton Island to the north. Maybe next year we'll try farther south. We have friends just south of the bridge.

Fair Winds,

Rich
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

09/11/2006 6:21 AM Pacific Time

Hi guys, Sorry I don't watch this list as I should..... I have been cruising out of Mallets Bay which is a really nice area. There are a lot of very nice anchorages in the inner and outer bay for a north wind. I enjoy the area so much I often spend a few days just hanging out there. Beyond that we typically do the same trip Rich does. Valcore and Burton Island. I really like that "inland sea" area where Burton is located. There is not a lot of traffic up there, very quite not much development which I like. Valcore is pretty, but I hate to be jammed in with a bunch of other boats which seems to often be the case.
While I think of it...A note to people cruising lake champlain. The cruising guide I have says that you can anchor in the Breakwater at Burlington. I don't know when it changed but you must now pick up a mooring. Cost is .50 per foot and it is first come first serve. We arrived late in the afternoon and got the last one. The wind was out of the north so if forced we could have gone to several anchorages just north in appletree bay or behind lone rock point. These looked fine but I don't think there is access to town from them. I don't know where we would have gone if the wind shifted south. It was getting dark and we may have been in a tough spot if that was the scenario.
Anyway, I live way down in southern Vermont so I trailer up. I have a couple of questions. Can either of you offer info on good ramps on the vermont side south of Burlington? I have to be able to leave truck and trailer for 4-7 days.
I have also been considering putting together a "marina" cruise. Normally I don't ever go to a marina, however I have a number of people that I would like to take sailing that are not comfortable without showers, toilets, bar and resturant. Can you offer any suggestions?
Also Like to hear about your favorite spots or cruises south of Burlington.
One more thing I was considering for next year is doing some casual racing. Mallets Bay Boat club offers PHRF on Thursdays I was told all you have to do is show up. I might try that. Have you guys done any racing? Where abouts?

Any input is great, Thanks

Chris

[email protected]

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising Lake Champlain