Anchoring

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Lying to two anchors - Bahamian Moor?

Author Lying to two anchors - Bahamian Moor?
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/05/2004 9:41 PM Pacific Time

I just read an article about lying to two anchors off the bow (Bahamian Moor) and was interested if most people anchored this way or just set one anchor, or set the second off the stern. Two off the bow seems the most sensible way, but may be an overkill for our small boats. Locally, we tend to anchor off the bow, back up to the beach and tie off to a tree or walk a stern anchor onto the beach.

Paul

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/12/2004 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Conditions are similar in Fl. but no one does that. I guess Theft may be a problem
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
04/15/2004 7:22 PM Pacific Time

I don't know about the other end of Florida, but we back up to the beach a lot up this way. The ladder's on the stern and it makes it much easier to get from boat to beach fire and back. Very sociable. If we elect to "get a little more water under the keel" when we turn in, we usually pull out beyond the bow anchor and set the anchor that was on the beach off the bow as well, "bahamian style" like Phillip and Sharon (who, by the way, are two folks that know what they're doing. I wouldn't worry too much about them making the Bahamas safely). I began setting two anchors most of the time when we woke up at 4am one time in Panama City, FL to near 30 kts. from the north blowing us toward the shore that had screened us from a light southern breeze the previous evening. As it turned out, our single Danforth held nicely, but sleep was out of the question. I made up my mind then that if I had ANY doubts about the weather, or my anchorage wasn't VERY protected, I would be putting out two. I've found I sleep MUCH better ;^)
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/15/2004 11:17 PM Pacific Time

We almost always use two anchors in a V pattern off the bow. We not only don't worry and sleep well but it also keeps the boat from sailing back and forth at anchor and consequently reduces rocking even if you are out in rough conditions. If we ever need to do a true Bahamian Moor (with the anchors at 180 degrees from each other) then we tie a lead weight on each anchor rode to make sure it sinks and doesn't get caught on the keel each time the boat shifts direction with the current.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/25/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Time

No one has mentioned what type of second anchor is best for two anchoring. I am looking about to purchase a second anchor and would appreciate some suggestions
Thanks!
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
05/25/2004 6:43 PM Pacific Time

Both of mine are the same, #8 Danforth.

Ken
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/25/2004 11:10 PM Pacific Time

I seem to recall that if you have two anchors, you should use the heavier one to seaward and the lighter towards the shore. That way if it blows up you've got the heavier anchor out where you need it
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
05/26/2004 7:31 AM Pacific Time

Being a cruiser I would not own anything but Delta anchors. I have tried the rest and Delta has worked out the best in all conditions. They are heavier than many but weight does count when anchoring despite what some people say.
Philip & Sharon

Anchoring
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Lying to two anchors - Bahamian Moor?