Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Boat name lettering

Author Boat name lettering
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
04/07/2004 10:30 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone done there boat name lately and what can I expect to pay? What size lettering is appropriate? Any other information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/07/2004 1:41 PM Pacific Time

Hi Mark- I got my graphics from Don Carsten. Unfortunately I don't have an Email address for him. The price was very reasonable and the vinyl lettering has lasted about 5 years so far. The letters are 6 inches high and 4 inches wide. There is a photo of the boat on the Catalina 22 National Assoc. website. Just scroll down to 7976 and click to enlarge. http://catalina22.org/c22pics/index.htm There is a jagged line running through the letters that is hard to see in the photo. Don will work with you to develop the design you want.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/08/2004 6:26 AM Pacific Time

Hi there!

I got my letters done at a local graphics company. They did the boat name and registration letters for about $40. They are vinyl and very easy to install. See my web site for details: http://www.leachs.com/Signs.htm

Robert
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
04/08/2004 7:52 AM Pacific Time

Bob, looks great. would like to know about your hull polishing job, please contact.
[email protected]

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/08/2004 9:17 AM Pacific Time

I just put the name on our boat "Luff Ya" and it cost me $28.80 The letters are about 8" high and in script. (That's both sides of the boat.) I think it looks great. It is a new business in the area and I am sure they would be happy to help you if interested. I was just checking to see if I had their card but couldn't find it. If you want more info email me at [email protected] and I'll get the info for you. I'll send you a photo of the lettering also - if you like.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/14/2004 8:35 AM Pacific Time

Paul--what would you like to know?

You can reach me at [email protected].
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1988 C-22

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
07/14/2005 8:29 PM Pacific Time

I want to rename my boat. What is the best way to remove the current decal name?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/15/2005 3:29 AM Pacific Time

Use a heat gun, or lacking that a hair dryer. Just warm up the letters then using a single-edge razor blade, start at one corner of a letter and peel it off. This works incredibly well.

I was formerly a sign-painter and boat-letterer, so I've had some experience with this!

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Shelby Burke
Fernandina Beach FL

Boat Name: Caronline

Model/Year: 25/1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/21/2006 7:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi Chip, what if the old name is painted on ? I would like to remove current painted on letters (primarily because they are bleeding, more than I care what the name of the boat is)

I am worried about damaging the hull paint underneath.

any advice?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
12/22/2006 11:15 AM Pacific Time

Hi Shelby,

It is not difficult to remove a painted name on your boat. The best way is to use some polishing compound and a soft rag. Be patient and use plenty of compound. Resist the urge to rub really hard. I have a friend who owned a fiberglass boat repair shop for years and he taught me all kinds of interesting tricks. Concentrate on the name and stay as much as possible off of the hull paint.

Greg
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
12/22/2006 3:26 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

I want to remove the name on my boat from the PO. It is a dark blue decal and my boat is off white. I understand to use a heat gun or hair drier to remove the name. But won't that leave a 'shadow' where the name was? If so, do you know how to eliminate that?

Thanks

Willard
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
12/23/2006 4:46 AM Pacific Time

The shadow will disappear. On fiberglass it is gone in about a season. On my boat you could actually feel the letters. On paint it depends a lot on the brand of paint and the amount of ultra-violet in your area.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
12/23/2006 5:27 AM Pacific Time

Hi Willard,

R.C. has it right. If the boat is painted there is little you can do since the exposed paint would be the part that weathered and got discolored from the UV. If you have a small area the polishing compound could be used to gently remove a very thin layer off of the top of the paint. I seriously doubt if you would want to do your entire hull. Basically the UV will work on the newly exposed area and it will gradually assume the shade of the rest of the hull.

Greg
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
12/23/2006 8:21 AM Pacific Time

R.C. & Greg,
Thanks for the info. My lettering was applied directly to the fiberglass which does not appear to have been painted. So I will move forward.

Thanks again.

Willard

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Boat name lettering