Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Spreader Bracket Replacement

Author Spreader Bracket Replacement
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/10/2004 11:12 AM Pacific Time

Okay, beautiful day at long last! I got Chip Ahoy uncovered (again), the mast down (again), the masthead sheaves switched-out, the new StaSet-X halyards installed, then took out the new, improved oval spreader brackets set I got from CD.

Naturally, no instructions. Why is this, time after time?

Why, why why?!?

Among its other components, there is a "Mast Compression Tube" [D2057] with one of the two 5/16" X 4" hex head cap screws through it. "Just what am I supposed to do with this?" I ponder. Certainly I'm not supposed to somehow get it halfway up inside the mast between the sides, then slide a bolt through it, right? So what's it's purpose?

Ah well, there are more good days ahead I hope ... but I do wonder just how many other CD parts and kits I now own that are going to leave me wondering, motionless when I get to them... Damn, wish I hadn't missed CD's mind-reading class. They did have one some time back, didn't they? They must have, to send out kits without instructions.

Might be an August launch at this rate. I've got a lot of their kits sans instructions ahead.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/

Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/10/2004 7:49 PM Pacific Time

Chip, I haven't done this replacement myself, but I think someone used an old garden hose, cut a slit in it to hold the compression tube, and slid it into the mast .

Good luck!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/10/2004 7:51 PM Pacific Time

Chip,
We have got to keep Lowell in his well earned large life style. That is why you don't get instructions with the products you buy from CD. Am I being too straight forward?
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
04/10/2004 9:18 PM Pacific Time

I've done this replacement(new spreader brackets) several times. Yes, that tube goes inside the mast to keep it from colapsing from the compression force the spreaders put on the mast. Any number of methods can be used to insert it in the mast. Every time I've done it I used a 1 x 2 and taped the tube across the end with some duct tape. To keep any of the tape from sticking inside the mast, put a piece of tape over the tube with the glue side out and then cover it with another layer. Once the bolt is through the tube, just twist the 1 x 2 to break the tape.

There is a drawing at: http://www.fleet130.org/technotes/electrical/ that illustrateys why you should not drill an over-sized hole so it can be inserted through the side of the mast.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/12/2004 1:50 AM Pacific Time

The good news is that yesterday I got the new spreader brackets in place, inserting the compression tube as Michael Smalter suggested, using a new hose I had to cut anyway. It worked just great! I haven't pulled it back out of the mast bottom yet ... as I might still need to realign the compression tube again -->

The bad news is, the 5/16" X 4" bolts are about 5/8" too long. They're only threaded the last 3/4" or so; with the nuts tightened to the end of the bolt threads there's still a little play in the bolt -- and the bolts stick out about 1/2" beyond the "tightened" nuts. Is this somehow to be expected (and if so, why the compression tube if the bolts are not tightened to the mast)? Instructions might have provided the answer to this as well ... but alas, there were none.

I'm going to pick up some 5/16" X 3 1/2" bolts today and see it that doesn't finally do the trick.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/31/2005 12:25 PM Pacific Time

Chip, I have an idea for spreader ends, that I'm posting for Lowell's benefit, but I just read your last year's delima about compression tubes. On my original home made boat, TORCH, the compression tubes were simply inserted in a hole just large enough for them and then larger washers on the outside to spread the load of the spreader's compression force. No threading them up the mast. For what it's worth.
Now for the idea, that was used on TORCH. The spreaders were sheet aluiminum tapered from about 1 1/2"x4" to about a 1 1/4" round, which was plugged with solid aluminum. There was hole drilled vertical about 1/2" from the end, and a slot at the end that I persumed was drill horizonally and cleared to the end, then with a drill or file, or a twist on a milling machine, the two holes were joined by a 45deg path. The shroud would be put into the slot in a horizontal position and twisted into the captive vertical position. No cotter pins, no sharp ends, no need for spreader boots. If it was patented, they have run out since this was designed and built in '64. Just thought it would be a great up grade for the spreader tubes.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Spreader Bracket Replacement