Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Floatation

Author Floatation
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
04/13/2004 7:32 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone else added floatation to their boat to give it positive buoyantcy?
I added a two part pour foam to my entire bow section and lockers. I also used high quality swim noodles to pack the side walls full, add filled the area under the cockpit floor with foam. I had read some where that it would require 35 sq. ft. of displacement to be buoyant. I guess being a rookie and having two young daughters I tend to like erring on the safe side. Chad
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
04/14/2004 2:33 PM Pacific Time

Mine came with the foam already. There have been several discussions on this over the years. One drawback discussed was the inability to access leaks for repair and also the tendency of the foam to trap and hold water. I have had niehter of these problems. I know that last year we (old list) discussed the amount of foam required. I searched my archives and could not find the info. I do remember that I calculated my boat to have more than enough floatation to remain floating above the gunnell with 2 people and full gear. My bow compartments are full. the area under the galley and aft on the starboard side are full, and the area under the cockpit sole has been bulkheaded off and filled. I also have kids, sail in very cold water and like the extra assurance of the foam. I will not remove mine. I may have to remove some from the lower gudgeon area to upgrade to the 1/2" but I will replace it when done.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/16/2004 8:44 AM Pacific Time

Upside of Foam Floatation:
1. Boat Will stay afloat.

Downside of Foam Floatation:
1: Takes up room when room is at a premium
2. Hides water leaks or damage to hull.
3. Makes hull repairs, more work because of removal of foam.
4. Additional weight
5. boat could capsize due to unequal water distribution
6. Still must carry life vests (USCG regs).

Conclusion:
1. perform hull safety inspection before boat use
2. Buy a proper dingy!
3. Use your life vests
4. File a Sail plan with USCG, it's free!
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/26/2004 6:45 PM Pacific Time

Another option would be boyancy bags. They can be put in the various compartments you are not using and then inflated. Or removed when you need the space.
Probably a good idea if you leave your boat in the water unattended.
35Cuft will yield about 1800# of floatation. This may do the trick but depends on what ever else you have on board.
I have found the bags at Annapolis Performance Sailing (www.apsltd.com) but they are expensive.
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
05/27/2004 10:08 AM Pacific Time

try http://www.holtallen.com/holt/bbag.html for more buyancy bags options

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Floatation