Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the Chesapeake / DelMarVa Area?

Author Cruising the Chesapeake / DelMarVa Area?
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
04/16/2004 6:51 AM Pacific Time

We've been camping for several years now on the DelMarVa peninsula with my grown daughter and her in-laws.

Can anyone talk about the trailersailing / cruising conditions on this side of the Chesapeake or even the ocean side of the peninsula?

We have a ton of fun down there every spring, but I can't look at any water without wondering what sailing on it would be like.

Chip
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/18/2004 7:37 PM Pacific Time

Contact some of the members of C22 Fleet 10. The Chesapeake is their home waters and they can tell you anything, everything, and more that you might want to know. They are a great group of people and they hold a week long C22 cruise each summer which is always a lot of fun.
In the summer it is usually rather hot on the bay and sometimes the wind is calm. Later in the summer there are sea nettles (stinging jelly fish) in the water which can make swimming unpleasant. If you sail in the fresh water in the North part of the Bay there are no nettles.
Philip
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

04/19/2004 4:57 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Philip. My boat bucks dried up with my business this spring, so I think all I can afford is joining the C-22 National Association this year.

The group sounds great, and it's referred to a lot here, so thanks for the tip. Maybe next year I'll be able to do the Chesapeake...

Chip

Captain Miles Ashley
Chincoteague Island, Virginia

Boat Name: Dragonass

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. #940

Hailing Port: Chincoteague Island Marina on Main Street
04/20/2004 4:22 AM Pacific Time

Chip,
I live on Chincoteague, and am the most sailingest guy down on these waters. The waters are shoal levels, but you have plenty greater than 5 feet in the Chincoteague Bay and the Channels. Lots of fun flat waters with plenty of wind to move you at near hull speed. With swing keel, you have access to lots of anchorages. In the Bay, there is not much traffic. This is sailboat wilderness as there is few facilities. There are 3 good ramps that I use. Contact me off line for particuliars. [email protected]
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
04/23/2004 3:24 PM Pacific Time

Chip: I sail the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays.

The Chesapeake is far and away the best of the two.

There are any number of places to put in at public boat ramps. Most counties charge a fee for out of staters. Talbot County is30$ for a season permit to launch. You can also get day passes for $10.

I like Talbot County. It includes St. Michaels, Tilgnam Island, and Oxford. From St Michaels it is a long day to Annapolis or other places on the Western Shore. St Michaels in on the Miles River where there are lots of places to anchor out and sight see. Especially nice is the Chesapeake Maritime Museum. You can sail out the Miles to the Eastern Bay and then to Tilghman Island and the continue into the Choptank River. The Choptank has plenty of great anchorages also. Between St. Michaels, Oxford and Cambridge nearly every weekend during the summer there are Log Canoe Races. Log canoes are in the long skinny boat category with lots of sail. I occasionally crew one that is more than 100 years old.

The Delaware bay is very restrictive in where you can go. There are not very many places to go, ship traffic can be dicey and currents are a lot stronger.

If you want to discuss it further contact me off listat [email protected]
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

04/24/2004 8:56 AM Pacific Time

Both trips sound like fun. Before we started camping at Cape Henlopen, DE, we did a couple years down at Assateague, Miles.

The wildlife is fantastic down, there. We still visit the islands every trip. But since there's no place to get the grandaughters out of the sun there, we camp up north where there are more trees.
I think Chincoteague/Assateague would make a great spring or fall trip. Do you do any fishing at all? I'd love to put in somewhere where I could sail, then fish for croaker, trout, stripers or sea bass.

As far as the northern end of the Chesapeake, R.C., I've only been up there once, fishing for croaker and trout. If I were to put in somewhere on the eastern shore, how far south do I have to go before the boat traffic drops off? We drove over to Annapolis a couple times, and both boat and car traffic look pretty thick there. Are there sights/activities that do not involve negotiating 10 miles of heavy boat traffic?

Thanks to both of you, and I saved your e-mails for when we get closer to a real date. Chip
Mike
Sterling, VA

Boat Name: Sick Days

Model/Year: Cat 22 1993

Hull No. 15288

Hailing Port: Alexandria, VA
04/26/2004 4:50 AM Pacific Time

Chip,

My name is Mike Alves and am a member of Fleet 10. I am organizing our annual curise this summer. We would love to have you join us for the week. If you would like details, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Mike

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

04/27/2004 5:45 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Mike. Looks like I'll be missing a lot of sailing this year (business), but I'll contact you for info on what the cruise is about. If it's annual, perhaps we can catch you next year.

Chip

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the Chesapeake / DelMarVa Area?