Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Rope Clutches

Author Rope Clutches

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/19/2004 7:05 AM Pacific Time

Anybody have a preference of Spinlock or Lewmar rope clutches? I want to add some clutches for my halyards. Both brands are about the same price.

Thanks,

Robert

Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
04/19/2004 8:19 AM Pacific Time

I looked at both, I settled on the height . I chose the Lewmar. can't remember right off but I believe there were about 3/4" difference.

Ken
Kevin
Wapakoneta, OH

Boat Name: JustABuk

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1351

Hailing Port: OH
04/20/2004 7:38 AM Pacific Time

We have the Spinlock on our main halyard. We have had it slip a couple of times (4-6") while racing. I would try the lewmar if I were you. We are going to change the Spinlock for something else.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
01/17/2007 3:12 PM Pacific Time

During the recent cold (25 degrees) weather in Phoenix area, I had the misfourtune to step on the double rope clutch for my halyards, and snapped both plastic handles. This is probably near original equipment, which would make it 25 years old. The clutch works fine. How "universal" are the handles, assuming I could buy a set?

Buff
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/18/2007 5:52 AM Pacific Time

You can find handles for those old ones in West Marine's catalog, page 879. I replaced my broken Spinlock handle just recently. 1-800-boating (1-800-262-8404 for technical questions or to order. I need to bite the bullet and get another double so that I can have the main and jib halyards, a two line reef, and a flattening reef all on sheet stoppers. They are on cam cleats now but are very hard to release under load. Also need another little Marelon Winch just ahead of them for ease of tightening.
Al Ge
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
01/19/2007 8:42 AM Pacific Time

Al:

Thanks for the response. I called West Marine and all they need is the make of the clutch. Handles are available.

Buff
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
01/19/2007 8:30 PM Pacific Time

Back to Robert. Practical Sailor prefers the Lewmar D1 for a variety of reasons. I bought mine from Englund Marine supply in Newport Ore. for $56.95 each.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Rope Clutches