Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Inboard Jib Tracks

Author Inboard Jib Tracks

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/19/2004 7:07 AM Pacific Time

For those of you who have added new jib tracks to your old C22, how long do you recommend? Can I split a 6' track into two 3' sections?

Did you need to have the tracks pre-bent? Did you put them as close to the cabin as possible?

Thanks,

Robert
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
04/19/2004 8:24 AM Pacific Time

yes you can cut the tracks, you will find them very easy to bend as your placing them. I'd use a car as your installing them to know it will slide. As close as possible. Check you lights after you drill.. wiring is imbedded along where your going to be installing the tracks.

Ken

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/21/2006 4:29 PM Pacific Time

I have a few questions about the instalation of inboard jib tracks on a 1987 Catalina 22
Anyone have pictures or diagarms?? I want to do this right the first time and I sure don't want to hit the wiring. email: [email protected]
How long should they be 12, 24, 36, 48 inches ?
Why should they be shorter than the existing outboard tracks ?
Where are they located start finish - fore/aft?
What is the best way to raise/shim the forward section to level with the aft section?
Thanks in advance for all your help
Clarke
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/22/2006 4:40 AM Pacific Time

The CD catalog has 2 lengths, 2 & 3 feet. Their picture shows the inboard tracks with spring loaded, upright jib cars. Previous posts say that the tracks can be bent. I'm sure that is true within certain limits. The tracks are mounted vey close to the cabin top. On my '86 model my wiring is run behind the wood trim in the interior and is not buried in the fiberglass. I don't know if that is standard as the PO was a real tinkerer.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
06/22/2006 3:24 PM Pacific Time

If you wish to bend the tracks to follow the curve of the cabin, it is easy to do. Start at one end and drill the first two holes, then using the free end push the track over to find where to drill the third hole, and so forth. It is not a hard bend, I used a stick the hold the track bent as I drilled the holes. You might need a longer stick between the track and the toe rail to wedge the track over to drill the last hole.
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
07/11/2006 5:17 PM Pacific Time

I'm interested in this thread... BUT can someone explain the benefits of doing this? Aside possible asthetics, does this change really make a difference in jib positioning and handling..? I also have lifelines to deal with..

Thanx!
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/12/2006 6:52 AM Pacific Time

Bill,

I just installed inboard tracks on my '70. I asked the same questions you did and got the answer that two ft. tracks are adequate and the center of the tracks need to be at the aft end of the back port. I have used the new tracks with my 150 jib and it takes some getting used to when doing sail trim. It really changes the dynamics. I find that it allows me to point somewhat closer to the wind and has changed the feel of the boat. I am nowhere near an expert but I think the benefits are worth the effort. I made no attempt to bend the tracks, I just installed them as close as I could to the cabin. In my 1970, the wiring was outboard enough that I missed it drilling the holes. Make sure you put a good sealant in and around the holes before installing the track.

Greg
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/12/2006 6:55 AM Pacific Time

Blaine,
I can tell you from experience that it will dramaticaly improve your pointing ability. It will likely cause the foot of your genoa to get caught on your forward stanchion. You can "skirt" the genoa (pull the foot over the top of the stanchion) before cranking in the last couple of inches or you can replace the forward stanchion with an eyebolt close to the deck. This leaves most of your lifelines intact and there is no change in the lifeline length. I ultimately removed my lifelines and like the boat better for it.

The tracks should be about 2' long, close to the cabin top as possible and centered fore and aft on where the bulkhead intersects the coaming.

Hope that helps
David Torrisi
www.fleet9.org
dumbo.torrisi.org
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
07/12/2006 8:49 AM Pacific Time

For what it's worth, I unclip the lifelines when I go racing to get the 150 tight against the rig. I need to perfect the skirt/haul the sheet it thing on each tack but seem to be getting good draft on a beat. I contemplated getting the inboard track but Mk2's are slightly more laborious to install.
Has anyone seen adustable sheet cars in that say get 6-8" off of the deck? I wonder if that'd be enough to bring the foot about where inboard tracks would without installing the extra toe stubber?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/12/2006 9:09 PM Pacific Time

The 2' track is good for setting the Genny on a beat, but if you add the 3' or 4' tracks and let them extend aft of the rear of the cabin, then you can pull the sheet point back to dump the head of the sail when the wind comes up and you don't want to change headsails. I will do that and then reef the main to keep the boat on her lines in heavy weather.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/14/2006 10:36 PM Pacific Time

If you install the tracks, don't forget to check where your cabin lights are in relationship to the screw holes.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Inboard Jib Tracks