Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Jib Sheet Placement

Author Jib Sheet Placement
Bill Cramer
Riverside, CA

Boat Name: Flextime II

Model/Year: C22 1971

Hull No. 547

Hailing Port: Riverside
04/28/2004 11:50 PM Pacific Time

We have alway positioned the jib sheets outside the lifelines. We did not receive instructions from the PO and after looking in the tech manual and many photos it seems that they are all inside the lifelines. This might be fine for the regular jib, but for the genoa, I think it would cause the sheet to rub on the lifelines. Especially, on a run. Would appreciate some input from those who have sailed this rode (pardon the pun) before.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/29/2004 9:26 AM Pacific Time

Another argument against life lines. They interfere with the jib sheets. To answer your question though, run them inside the life lines. It is better for the interference to be when you are sailing off the wind, than to have the life line or stanchion in the way when the sail is sheeted in on a close hauled heading. You may have to "skirt" the foot of the genoa to lift it over the life line after the sail is sheeted in.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/29/2004 3:16 PM Pacific Time

I normally run the sheets outside the lifelines. If I need to beat into the wind, I switch the windward sheet to inside, tack, then switch the other sheet to inside.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/29/2004 11:07 PM Pacific Time

I'll admit I'm not sure what this does, but my guess is that I can point higher. Always had mine outside.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
04/29/2004 11:11 PM Pacific Time

Sorry - The reason I'm confused is that I have my fairleads on the factory-installed track at the gunwale, and don't have an inside one, don't have a barber-hauler, and don't race. Having only one track implies that inside or outside makes no difference to my sail trim.

Paul
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/30/2004 7:04 AM Pacific Time

Paul - I thnk the question has to do with whether the sheet goes over the life line (inside) or whether it goes under the lifelline (Outside).
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/30/2004 8:42 PM Pacific Time

My jib/genoa sheets usually run on the outside however, whenever I find a need to switch to close hauled tacking then I just release the life line pelican hooks at the aft end of the life lines and put the ends into the cabin so that they are out of the way. That way the angle of pull of the jib sheets is uninhibited regardless of tack angle. Your life lines remain intact forward in case you need their security for some kind of activity.
Philip

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Jib Sheet Placement