Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / replacing head and main halyard

Author replacing head and main halyard
Aaron Mosher
Cape Elizabeth, ME

Boat Name: Euphoria

Model/Year: C22 - 1981

Hull No. 10111

Hailing Port: Casco Bay
04/29/2004 11:23 AM Pacific Time

I'd like to rig the boat for single-handing this summer. Can I simply run my current halyards back to the cockpit? If so, what hardware would you recommend? If I need to replace the halyards, are they simple lines I can replace?

Or, is there an all-inclusive sort of kit available anywhere?

thanks.

missing the mailing list. Still.

Aaron
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/29/2004 12:09 PM Pacific Time

Aaron - It would help to know what kind of halyards you currrently have on your boat.
Aaron Mosher
Cape Elizabeth, ME

Hull No. 10111

04/29/2004 12:36 PM Pacific Time

Hm. I really don't know. They're two pieces of grey rope with shackles at the ends toward the bow and knots at the ends toward the stern. :)

I'm assuming they're original or close to it.

The mast is down right now so I'm not sure how much play I'd have with the sails completely down.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/30/2004 8:51 PM Pacific Time

When rigging for sail handling with limited help I have also found it VERY useful to attach a line to the head of the jib or genoa and feed it through a block on the bow and back to the cockpit. I use this to pull down the head sail when help is limited and for times when conditions are too bad to go forward. It is nice to know that you can sail down in a hurry if you need too without leaving the tiller unattended.
Philip
Aaron Mosher
Cape Elizabeth, ME

Hull No. 10111

05/11/2004 11:34 AM Pacific Time

I guess that would be sort of a downhaul?

I'm probably looking for something that would allow me to stay in the cockpit while raising or lowering the sails. Is there some sort of kit that would allow me to do that? My halyards are probably pretty old, but they appear to be in perfectly ok shape.

Does anyone have any photos of their C22 set up for singlehanding?
Neil Melker
Princeton, NJ

Boat Name: Zeno

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1981

Hull No. 9980

Hailing Port: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
08/08/2019 9:05 PM Pacific Time

Went to all line halyards but had trouble feeding end through clutch. Yet another use of Krazy Glue. Knead and stretch near the end of the line. Cut 1/4" off the end of a Krazy Glue tube (original, not gel) saturate 1" of line. Let dry 1-2 hrs. Sniff to tell if dry (do not contact nose). Use sharp utility blade near end of "whipped" section.
forrest
corpus christi, tx

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/08/2019 9:05 PM Pacific Time

Went to all line halyards but had trouble feeding end through clutch. Yet another use of Krazy Glue. Knead and stretch near the end of the line. Cut 1/4" off the end of a Krazy Glue tube (original, not gel) saturate 1" of line. Let dry 1-2 hrs. Sniff to tell if dry (do not contact nose). Use sharp utility blade near end of "whipped" section.
J Stephen Keeton
Maumelle, Arkansas

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1986

Hull No. 13255 C-22

Hailing Port: Pensacola, FL
09/28/2020 10:52 AM Pacific Time

Replacing both halyards I decided to add two clutches and looked at Catalina Direct, where I noticed their offering is 1/4" along with the suggestion of replacing the sheaves in the mast and turning block.
My post '86 22 has internal halyards in the mast and has never been modified from the factory for cockpit use (one portside winch and cleat, one cleat to starboard near rear of cabin) and the halyards are 5/16" and do not meet my expectations for a boat berthed at a mooring buoy.
I planned to stay with 5/16" (8mm) line but was not particularly concerned regarding any of my sheaves since they appear serviceable.
Your comments?
Andy
Pagosa Springs, CO

Boat Name: Milagro

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Navajo Lake
12/06/2020 5:16 PM Pacific Time

J I like your suggestions on the mast head. I just was gifted a Catalina 25 and wanted to upgrade the rigging.
Robert J Zehren
Las Vegas

Boat Name: undecided

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Callville Bay NV
12/06/2020 5:16 PM Pacific Time

J I like your suggestions on the mast head. I just was gifted a Catalina 25 and wanted to upgrade the rigging.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / replacing head and main halyard