Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Alternative to keel eyebolt

Author Alternative to keel eyebolt
Gene Watson
Rochester, NY

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1973

Hull No. 1336

Hailing Port:
05/01/2004 6:30 AM Pacific Time

At some point in the past, the keel eyebolt either corroded away or the keel corroded to the point the eyebolt piece wouldn't hold. By the time I purchased the boat in 1999, a previous owner had rigged an alternative by using a strap of metal that was bent into an inverted V shape and held to the keel by two large screws on each side of the keel. None of the screws go completely through the keel, so I have no idea how deep they go in. When I hauled out last fall I noticed the head of one of the screws has rusted/corroded off and I would like to replace the whole repair with something more substantial. Any ideas, assuming the standard eyebolt arrangement is not an alternative? I'm not that skilled that I could reem/repair/replace the keel eyebolt. Note that the keel pin was replaced in '99 and I replaced the winch and cable in '00. My thought is to go down about 5 or 6 inches below the edge of the keel and drill a hole completely through. A solid rod (that I could remove and examine reguarly) could then put through the hole and be used to attach another inverted V strap of metal. I sail for fun, so I am not concerned with 0.01 knot loss of speed.
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
05/02/2004 5:51 AM Pacific Time

I have this arrangement with a hole through the keel and no problems even when keeping boat 2 years in salt water , It is important that the attachment method is not too long so it does not damage hull at full up

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Alternative to keel eyebolt