Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / CD - Windex15 installation help

Author CD - Windex15 installation help
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/08/2004 1:36 PM Pacific Time

I made the trip out to the boat today, still on the trailer and tried to install the Windex 15, using the CD supplied angle and screw.

There were no instructions so I assume the large hole in the bracket is to use the bolt for the upper shrouds that hold the mast head casting on. You then need to drill into the mast and use the supplied screw in the small hole.

The problem is that the large hole is too close to the bend in the bracket, causing and the top of the shroud plates to hit the horizontal part of the bracket. (the 2 metal bars with a slight bend in them to set the shroud off of the mast at the right angle - don't know their name.) You can get it on but the plates come up against the horizontal part of the bracket, forcing it will bend the bracket and the windes will not be straight.

The other problem, (I beleive- did not drill the hole yet) is that the screw supplied will not clear the insideof the shroud "plates" .

I do not have a machine shop at the storage place to go grinding down these parts. Has anyone else had this problem?

Am I installing this in the right place?

Is there another way to mount the Windex?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer...
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
05/09/2004 1:23 AM Pacific Time

I installed mine last year, did it wrong, and wound up snapping the masthead truck, a least in part because of how I mounted it. This year I did it a little differently. You can see photos of it (and last year's fiasco) at:

http://www.cltg.org/chip_ahoy/chip_ahoy_10.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/09/2004 8:58 AM Pacific Time

Chip - I thought the mast head was snapped because you used a nut and bolt instead of a clevis pin to attach the backstay.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
05/09/2004 5:42 PM Pacific Time

That's true, Dick, but I used that bolt as one of the fastenings for the Windex. The bolt was there instead of a clevis pin when I got the boat, and when I looked for a location to mount the Windex it was a natural. Perhaps (though I don't believe so) I tightened it too much -- more than whoever put it there in the first place -- and external forces under sail performed the rest?

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/10/2004 4:53 AM Pacific Time

Chip

Thanks for the link - I looked at it, is that the Win10" or Win15"?

As for mast head casting failure - while sailing? That sounds like a bad one......

As I alook at the Antenna, Light and Windex, It looks like a single deck or plate made to hold all of the accessories may be a good way to go. For now I just want to get the Windex up. I sail in a small lake with cell phone and I do not think anyone monitors the VHF.

Thanks again!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / CD - Windex15 installation help