Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel wings

Author keel wings
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/10/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Hi there. I was wondering if anybody attemped to modify C22 swing keel and mounted horizontal wings to it.
It looks like there is enough room for 2 aluminum or steel flaps on the bottom portion of the keel. I noticed that some racers have that type of keel used. Any thoughts?

-Art
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/10/2004 9:00 AM Pacific Time

"I noticed that some racers have that type of keel used. Any thoughts?"

The Catalina 22 comes with one of three different kinds of keels; swing, wing and fixed. Some owners of all three types like to race. When the different type go head to head, results seem to indicate the the order of performance is based on the sailors. However, overall the fixed keel seems to be the fastest, while the wing seems to be the slowest. Others might disagree.

The most versatile in all different sailing conditions is the swing keel. It is easy to trailer, it is easy to get near shore while cruising. It has more maintenance due to its mechanisms. The other two have no moving parts, but draw more. The wing makes for smoother sailing due to the dampening effect of the wings, but suffers upwind due to a reduced lateral resistance. The fin keel goes well up wind but draws more so trailering requires deeper ramps to load and unload. The approach to shallow water is restricted also.

Try to decide what you wish to do with the boat and act accordingly .
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/10/2004 9:04 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to mention that any modification of the installed keel would render the boat illegal for racing as a Catalina 22.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/10/2004 11:41 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the response. I didn't mean to modify the keel for racing, just more stability to the boat. Any boat with modified swing keel (wings) will loose upwind but it could possibly increase the angle of vanishing stability. Also, is it possible to install wings on retractible keel?
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
07/11/2005 11:42 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1985 (25) fin keel that I'd like to make a trade for a 22 wing keel, as the lake that I want to sail is very shallow. I'm in southwest ohio.
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
07/12/2005 7:10 AM Pacific Time

I have a very clean 22 in Chicago that I was going to sell in August maybe a trade could be interesting. You can contact me off list at [email protected] and perhaps we can exchange pictures and through discriptions.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel wings