Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Outboard mounting height

Author Outboard mounting height
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/21/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Time

Last year my 6HP Yam allways seemed too deep, with the waterflow hitting the wishbone, and the mounting board.
This year I have raised the mount one bolt hole, but it still seems too low, as high as possible with out drilling new holes. I have the better spring loaded mount with the two "down" positions. I leave the motor in the higher position. (I can acutally run the motor in the UP position and it just starts to suck air & cavitate)
Does anyone have a method for determining where to mount the engine, say ..relative to the bottom of the transom?

Paul
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/22/2004 3:50 AM Pacific Time

Do you have a long shaft motor? That puts the prop lower while allowing you to keep the head of the engine higher.

Also, can you shift any of the weight in the boat forward? That would float the transom higher, perhaps keeping the mount out of the water.
Dean Hunt
Spirit Lake, Iowa

Boat Name: Stayin' Alive

Model/Year: C-22---1992

Hull No. 15239

Hailing Port: West Lake Okoboji
05/22/2004 10:56 AM Pacific Time

I have a 8HP Johnson with the long shaft and my prop with the mount in the down position runs about 5 to 6 inches under the water. This seems to be about right to me. It could run a little deeper, but i wouldn't want it to run any shallower. I keep my boat on a hoist and at times when the water is rough it will cavitate when backing out of the hoist other wise it runs fine.

Dean
James deur
Zeeland, mi

Boat Name: fresh wind

Model/Year: Catalina 30 tall rig 1992

Hull No.

Hailing Port: holland
03/29/2010 6:05 PM Pacific Time

I have a question on mounting height. On a 22 Catalina, I removed the old aluminum slide up/down mount which held my 6hp 2-stoke Evinrude 59 lbs to place a 2 spring swivel type mount and an 8hp 4-stoke Honda (80 lbs.). The long shaft Honda is 33 inches from the mount resting area to the fin. The new pivot mount moves 10.5 inches up and down. The hole patterns are completely different. I know I will have to epoxy/glass fill some holes and probably should use the CD motor mount straps for the extra weight. Where to place the new motor mount? Any suggestions on how far below the top of the transom or should I be thinking more about how far above the waterline? Everything was on the port side before, but does mounting the engine on the starboard side change the handling. Also wonder how far off centerline to place the motor mount. Am I right in thinking the prop should be 4 to 6 inches below the hull for optimal performance? I welcome suggestions.
Ken Ward
Nokomis, FL

Boat Name: Catalina

Model/Year: 22/1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sarasota-Venice, FL
03/29/2010 6:05 PM Pacific Time

I have a question on mounting height. On a 22 Catalina, I removed the old aluminum slide up/down mount which held my 6hp 2-stoke Evinrude 59 lbs to place a 2 spring swivel type mount and an 8hp 4-stoke Honda (80 lbs.). The long shaft Honda is 33 inches from the mount resting area to the fin. The new pivot mount moves 10.5 inches up and down. The hole patterns are completely different. I know I will have to epoxy/glass fill some holes and probably should use the CD motor mount straps for the extra weight. Where to place the new motor mount? Any suggestions on how far below the top of the transom or should I be thinking more about how far above the waterline? Everything was on the port side before, but does mounting the engine on the starboard side change the handling. Also wonder how far off centerline to place the motor mount. Am I right in thinking the prop should be 4 to 6 inches below the hull for optimal performance? I welcome suggestions.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
03/30/2010 1:27 PM Pacific Time

When I changed mounts I put the new mount in the old spot using a couple of existing holes temporarly. I checked the clearance with the motor at full up tilt.
There was enough to lower the mount 2". The mount was moved and checked.
I added a 3/4" plywood spacer to allow more room for tilt angle clearance. The deeper the better to keep the prop in the water if the wind is to port. If the motor was mounted on the starbord the shift would be on the outside and harder to reach. I would keep the mount as close to original verticle alignment as possible and only change horizontal for maximum depth and minumum tilt clearance. While your at it install a large a plywood backer plate inside the hull to distrubute the weight.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Outboard mounting height