Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Elongated Keel Pin Hole

Author Elongated Keel Pin Hole
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
05/24/2004 2:06 PM Pacific Time

Just dropped the keel today. Much too late I'm Afraid! The pin hole is severerly elongated and the pin was sawed halfway through. I already have a replacement pin and the bushing sold by Catalina direct. The hole is so big I can just slide the bushing in. Anybody have an idea on how to fill the space around the bushing? The good news is that all the actions recommended in the video seemed to work and despite the tardiness of dropping the keel the bolts came out with no problem.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/25/2004 7:47 AM Pacific Time

Peter:

I had the same problem. If the bushing fits well (mine slid right in, nice and snug), I suggest using epoxy (I used West System) with some filler (white pellets) to epoxy in the bushing. I also cut some alluminuim rods, approx 1/8 inch diamater, to fill in on the elognation behind the bushing. I epoxied in my bushing over a year ago, and so far have had zero concern or maintainence since. Every once a while I check out the epoxy (can see the underside of the hole cuz it's on a trailer) and have yet to notice any compression or cracking.

I hope this helps, and good luck on the repair

Kevin Fish
12835 Perseverance
Clearwater, Fl

Yes I know my information doesn't fill in. Don't talk to me, talk to CD.
Greg Nelson

Hull No. 5953

05/25/2004 5:18 PM Pacific Time

Kevin,
Thanks. That is one more idea than I had before. Any others out there?

Peter
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
05/26/2004 10:15 AM Pacific Time

I used Marine Tex to fill the oversized hole in the keel and used the new pin wrapped with some type of bond beaker to give me the hole I have used it 2 years with no movement or cracking. It is important to cast the hole for the pin as close as possible to it's correct location. While you are at it you should instal the plastic spacers each side of the keel to control the dreaded clunk
Greg Nelson

Hull No. 5953

05/26/2004 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Dave, thanks for the answer. Based on my own experience with MarTex over the years, I'm inclined to substitute it for the epoxy with pellets in Kevin's answer. How did you (or anybody else figure out the correct location for the bushing (which I think is an easier solution than using the new pin to size the hole)?.

Peter
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/27/2004 4:58 PM Pacific Time

On my first C-22 I had the dreaded keel pin problem. I contacted Catalina Yachts and they provided me with a drawing of the keel which enabled me to make a jig that fit in the notch of the keel to get the right placement. Unfortunately the data is on a defunct hard drive.

I then got rid of all of the bad bushing and mixed up an underwater epoxy gel and used a 1" bronze pipe nipple to provide a race for the pin to sit in. I chose bronze because the pin is bronze and I wanted to reduce any galvanic reaction. Pack the void with epoxy and use the threads on the pipe nipple to "screw" it into the epoxy. The pipe nipple was centered in the in the jig. Six years later the repair is as good as new despite the boat having been beached in a storm and riding on the beach on the retracted keel for 8 hours.

I would measure it up on Ricochet, but I just got the keel back in and once is enough.

Lauching tomorrow.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Elongated Keel Pin Hole