Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel leak

Author Keel leak
Jean Cummins
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Boat Name: Solace

Model/Year: Swing Keel - 1979

Hull No. 8263

Hailing Port: Nepean Sailing Club
05/31/2004 6:11 AM Pacific Time

Hi,

I just put my boat in the water and it seems there is a leak at the level of the keel bolt. Perhaps the lock bolt too. It is very impossible to see from the cabin. Without hauling the boat, do you think it is possible to figure out what the problem is and, of course, if it can be repaired?

Also, the leak is very slow. I wonder if I can sail safely even with this slow leak.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/31/2004 6:49 AM Pacific Time

Jean,
In my opinion your only option is to pull the boat and check the integrity of the keel pivot parts and the keel pivot assembly. It's better to be safe than sorry! I have not heard anyone speak of repair to this area of the c22 while it is still in the water. The lowest part of the c22 while afloat is behind the keel box between the scupper valve and the keel box. The area you speak to should be above the water line.
Jean Cummins
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Hull No. 8263

05/31/2004 8:21 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

Thanks. So, if I understand what you are saying, my leak does not come from the keel pin?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/31/2004 8:54 AM Pacific Time

Jean - It appears that you have a leak around the threads of the lock down bolt or else a leak in the area where the plate that holds the nut for the lockdown bolt, is located. The former can be fixed by removing the bolt from the hole,.coating the threads with wheel bearing grease and reinstalling it. If the leak persists then you have possible damage to the keel trunk. It could be the plate mentioned above, or it could be a crack in the hull where the keel hangers are mounted. I have seen both. In either case, the boat must be hauled and keel removed for a careful inspection of the keel trunk surfaces inside and out. The damage can be repaired by a competent fiberglass worker. I hope for your sake, it is the lockdown bolt threads.
Jean Cummins
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Hull No. 8263

05/31/2004 10:11 AM Pacific Time

Dick,

Thanks for your opinion and help.

Now. Let's say I am facing the worst case scenario: there is a crack in the keel trunk. The boat leaks less than a pint a day. The previous owner obviously checked out what the problem was but did not find it. So, he installed pumps.

My BIG question is: can I risk sailing all summer with the problem, pump the water, and have it fixed next fall? Or is it too risky?

Thanks again for your assistance,

Jean
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/31/2004 12:05 PM Pacific Time

Jean - I hate to say it, but it depends. Water leaks can be bad for the boat. The combination of oisture and wood usually beget rot. Rot in reinforcing wood results in weakening of the wood supporting the structure.. I have personally expeienced that scenario in my rudder.when it broke under a severe load caused by a microburst. I honestly don't know if the keel trunk has wood in it, but I think it does. Catalina Yachts could tell you for sure. Invest in a phone call to their Chief Engineer, Gerry Douglas. (I think he is still there) and pose the question to him. (818 884-7700)

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel leak