Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Shilshole to Roche Harbor Briefing?

Author Shilshole to Roche Harbor Briefing?
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
06/05/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Time

I am considering making my first single-handed Puget Sound overnighter to Roche Harbor. Can anyone brief me and/or point me toward resources on what to expect along the route, length of time to plan for the passage, things to do once there, etc? I have been on the Roche Harbor Marina website, so I have a sense of the reservation process and amenities. I’m more seeking voices of first-hand experience.

I was delighted to find that my full-size street bicycle fits into the port lazarette after just basic disassembly, so I’ll have transportation once I’m on San Juan.

Thanks!

PS. I promise not to use any information shared here as a substitute for sound navigation practices. :-)
Paul Brook
Fairfield, IA

Boat Name: Selkie

Model/Year: C22 Fin 1977

Hull No. 7817

Hailing Port: Lake Rathbun, IA
06/06/2004 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Please take few pictures if you can and notes too. I would like to hear about your trip.

Thanks
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
06/06/2004 2:09 PM Pacific Time

Russ,

I've done that trip once. It is about an 8 hour motor from Shilshole to Anacortes and then probably another 2 hrs from Anacortes to Roche Harbor. You have two choices--sail the outside of Whidbey Island across the Straight of Juan de Fuca or sail the inside passage between Camanoe and Whidbey through LaConner to Anacortes and then across to Roche.

The advantage of the outside passage is a quicker trip. The disadvantage is you are in commercial shipping lanes and the straights can be very windy (or not).

I'd opt for the inside passage. Less wind, less traffic, more to see. You could also cut through Deception Pass but unless you catch it at slack water, forget it. I'm not sure a C-22 powered by a 5 or 6 HP outboard could beat the current.

You don't have to do the trip in one day. There are sopme nice overnights in Langley, Coupeville, and Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island and in LaConner and Anacortes.

If you would like some more info, e-mail directly ([email protected]) and I will be happy to provide whatever I know.

Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/07/2004 10:30 PM Pacific Time

One further item. In a recent issue of "Multihull" magazine, an article by a family that stopped in Roche harbor while on vacation claimed the theft off boats was so bad he would never go back. You can take that for what it's worth. The harbor at English camp is close by, well protected, and I think you can anchor close in.
Dee Warneking
Portland OR

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 421

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Island
06/12/2004 11:29 AM Pacific Time

I've taken this trip a few times and will be sailing the San Juans in my C-22 again from Jun 20-27. I totally agree with the comments about the currents. I've spent many an hour on the motor watching the same rock on occasion -and that was in a 32' Islander. 4-5 kts is not uncommon. The Ports and Passes 2004 Current Atlas Tables in conjunction with the Canada Fisheries and Oceans Current Atlas are extremely useful in the San Juans. I would never head out without them. They're available at most West Marine or other chandleries anywhere in the sound. They're not cheap however about $35 US for the pair. If you know your route and times I'd be happy to look up the currents for you but I sure like having the atlas on board for those moments where I deviate from plan:)

I do think it may take more than a 2 hour motor from Anacortes though 2-3 hours motoring to Friday Harbor might be possible. It's about 22nm as the crow flies. Then again - my boat is "Knot so Fast" so maybe it's just me! I also agree the winds in Haro strait and Juan de Fuca Strait can be a harrowing 25-30 kts in the strait on days we're on the motor in the channels. Then again some days are quiet also.

If you have time a really beautiful sail to Roche Harbor from Anacortes is to take Thatcher pass between Blakely and Decatur to Harney Channel between Orcas and Shaw then to Pole pass/North pass between Orcas and Shaw. Head N. around San Juan. It's a pretty clear route except you need some careful navigating in Pole Pass and whatever you do - stay out of the Wasp Islands! Really messy in there! I have detailed data on this route including GPS routing, waypoint data etc. as well as many others in the San Juan's if you're interested. You can Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions I'd be happy to share what I know.

Going in to Roche harbor from the North I'd advise against taking the East passage between Pearl I. and San Juan. Likewise I'd use caution cutting between Barren I. and Davidson Head. People do it but I'd take the extra few minutes and stay out around the Bouy NW of Barren I. unless you really know the area. I've seen multiple snags there but some get thru ok.

If you take the outer route from Haro Strait up N thru mosquito pass there are rocks to Port as you're making the turn between Henry and Bazelgette Pt on San Juan, pilings, kelp to Starboard, and strong currents - about 5 kts

In any event I have lots of references, photos both aerial & sea (I'll see if I can scan some in) and most of the nav data for the area so let me know if I can help. Just reach me before 16 Jun - after that I'll be sailing:)))

Hope you have fun!!!

Dee
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
06/12/2004 6:05 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Gerry and Dee!

This is just outstanding stuff. I will get in direct contact with you as the voyage date gets closer. This maybe a holdover from flying, but I am a nut for having my own nav references onboard. I will pick up those current guides straightaway, thanks for the recommendation. I would love to get those GPS waypoint plots from you, though.

Best,

Russ
[email protected]
http://rilinterface.com/leanto

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Shilshole to Roche Harbor Briefing?