Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Another keel refinishing question

Author Another keel refinishing question
Heidi Heidel
Fredericksburg, VA

Boat Name: Interim

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2212

Hailing Port: Colonial Beach, VA
06/14/2004 8:40 AM Pacific Time

My swing keel is one big rusted mess. I plan on taking a grinder to it to get rid of all the loose stuff, but working w/ metal is all new to me.

I've spoken w/ several people and they suggested after I have it grinded down, to spray it down w/ rustoleum and then paint. Will this work? I read in another thread where someone mentioned a rust converter. Is that a necessity? I am on a serious budget and trying to pinch as many pennies as I can while not risking doing further damage to the keel. She will be sailed in the Southern Potomac River, which is brackish water, and will stay in a slip, not on the trailer.

Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
06/14/2004 12:32 PM Pacific Time

I did some maintenance to my keel this spring. To remove all loose pieces I also got a grinder with a couple of different blades/wheels/brushes, you name it. I found out that I got the best results with a nice, medium-havy hammer. I got one with a straight end (almost like brick layer type). Works much faster, no dust and it goes really deep.
Heidi Heidel
Fredericksburg, VA

Hull No. 2212

06/14/2004 4:17 PM Pacific Time

are you talking about using the hammer to scrape it off or to bang it off? I'm having a hard time picturing this. Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with:

http://members.cox.net/interim22/Photo0008.jpg

There are parts of it that are literally flaking away.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
06/15/2004 6:29 AM Pacific Time

Yeah, I saw your keel and it looks familiar.
I used the hammer to bang stuff off. Try it.
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/16/2004 7:19 AM Pacific Time

If you are going to all the trouble of removing the rust then you may wish to consider fairing the keel. Keels on the C22 are not symmetrical (mine is not) and it affects the ability to sail to windward on one side (port I believe). The fairing can be accomplished with either polyester or epoxy fillers. The keel refinishing kit from CD is helpful. I will be refinishing my keel either this fall or next spring and will fair it.
Heidi Heidel
Fredericksburg, VA

Hull No. 2212

06/16/2004 8:10 AM Pacific Time

I'm going to feel really stupid for asking this, but um...define "fair." What does one mean when they say, "fair the keel." I always thought that was just another term for grinding it down.
mark miller
deatsville al

Boat Name: blue heron

Model/Year: catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7309

Hailing Port: lake jordan
07/28/2004 6:48 PM Pacific Time

Heidi, I just finished my keel this spring, and I wholeheartedly suggest you get the CD keel refinishing video. It's not much money but it has a lot of info. Fairing means to make smooth, as in a "fair curve", one that flows symetrically, or to make a surface flat with no holes or bumps. Both of these apply, but you don't have to get crazy....my keel was rusty, with pieces falling off, and I did a decent job and the boat sails much better...good luck!
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/29/2004 2:42 AM Pacific Time

There is another 'fairing' that racers do to the C-22 keel. That is to really grind the shape to be tear-drop shape, much as the fin and rudder of aircraft. The keels that I have delt with on C-22's are somewhat tear-dropped but not all the way. Before I sold #501 I advertised it to be 'faired', when the buyer started looking, he brought out a template and checked the shape and said this isn't 'faired'. That is when I realized that smoothing out the bumps and pot holes, is not all that some people are meaning when they say, 'faired'.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Heidi Heidel
Fredericksburg, VA

Hull No. 2212

08/09/2004 3:44 AM Pacific Time

thanks, Mark.

I'm happy to report that the keel refinishing job from hell has been completed, which should explain my absense from this board for a while.

we used a hammer as described above, let out some much needed frustration by banging the loose rust off the keel, then used some epoxy puddy stuff (I forgot what it was already) to reshape it and fill in the craters, then primered it, then painted it.

I'm happy to report the bottom job was completed in July and she was put in the water on 4th of July weekend.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Another keel refinishing question