Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Window Tinting

Author Window Tinting

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/23/2004 6:54 AM Pacific Time

Anybody venture into tinting the cabin windows? How did you do it? How is it holding up?

Thanks,

Robert
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/23/2004 7:23 AM Pacific Time

I did mine a year ago, I cut the tint leaving about 1/4" all around each window before starting, then trimmed for final fit once it was on the window using a new razor blade. I have since secured the acordian curtians and don't use them anymore, cabin stays much cooler. Of course at night one can see in if there is a light on in the boat.

The tint, Limo (dark) I picked it up a wal-mart, one box was plenty about $20.00
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
06/25/2004 8:23 AM Pacific Time

I tinted my cabin windows two years ago with Limo tint and it worked out great. I also mounted a solar pannel in the port side forward cabin window . I cut the tint in the oulline of the panel. The curtins cover it on the inside and it looks like the tint on the outside. It worked out great.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/26/2004 7:12 AM Pacific Time

I think that's what I will do with my clear window c22. Any special proceedure in applying the tint. I know you must clean the windows very well and dry them with newpaper making sure not to leave oil, grease or lint. How did you get a good cut and edge with the windows inside the boat? Did you leave a small edge all the way around the window edge? Did you cut a pattern first?
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/27/2004 9:17 PM Pacific Time

Hobie. Hope you never have to take the stuff off. The only way I've found is a razor blade and a lot of time. That glue is goooood stuff. Be sure to use a squeegee to get the bubbles and wrinkles out. Trim to fit with a razor blade just like the directions say. How's Allie? Fed him any teenagers lately?
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
06/30/2004 8:38 AM Pacific Time

I've also removed the tint materials from car windows. You can peel it off easy and hot soapy water will take care of the glue and ease removal.
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
09/04/2011 7:23 AM Pacific Time

FYI, don't buy cheap window tint. I bought some limo tint from Walmart and it looked good for a couple of years, then it turned purple. I'm redoing my leaky windows and can't wait to get this crap off.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
09/05/2011 7:38 PM Pacific Time

Chuck,
Funny you should mention that.... I bought some tint film from a local auto supply store. It went on dark gray and after a decade has faded to a cool purple color. It looks good with my gray top side paint! I'm not sure I would have chosen purple, but I do like it now!
David

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Window Tinting