Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Texas Sailing

Author Texas Sailing
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/24/2004 12:16 PM Pacific Time

We are contemplating a move to Texas. Our destination is lilely to be in the triangle of Houston, San Antionio and Victoria. We will stay away form metro areas.

I'd appreciate any input on good sailing areas in the vicinity

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/28/2004 10:31 AM Pacific Time

If there is a good sailing lake within the area you describe I don't know about it. But sailing is good at Canyon Lake where we are. About 35 miles north of San Antonio. It is an 8000 acre clear water Corps of Engineers lake nestled in the Texas hill country. It has two public marinas, two military marinas, and one Yacht club marina. Then if you want salt water, there is Matagorda Bay about 45 miles SE of Victoria with Marinas at Port Lavaca and Palacious. And Clear Lake/Kemah area SE of Houston
Jim Johnstone
Austin, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Travis, TX
06/29/2004 1:15 PM Pacific Time

You have the Gulf of Mexico. There are yacht clubs and marinas all along the coast. Seabrook and Clear Lake have active sailing fleets as does Corpus Christi

Further inland and North of Houston is Lake Conroe and Lake Somerville.

Canyon Lake in New Braunfels and Lake Travis in Austin have active C22 fleets and ample marinas and yacht clubs.

Try this link http://www.sailtexas.com/ for more info on where to sail.

Jim
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/30/2004 8:34 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info. Lake Canyon looks good to me at this point for fresh water. Matagorda Bay for salt water.

My wife and I had our first date in New Braunfels 43 years ago. Spent the day at Landa Park.

That could bring back some good memories.

We are just beginning our search for a place to live. Unless I can figure a way to talk our kids and grand kids into coming to Texas for Christmas 2005 rather than Delaware we are probably talking about very early 2006 for the move.

Hope to get in touch with you when our move is more imenent
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
11/13/2005 7:57 AM Pacific Time

There is some good sailing in the gulf, as well as local lakes. If you do a websearch you will turn up some links. I have friends in Magnolia Beach who sail quite a bit there.

I did a search on sailing the Texas Gulf and was surprised at all you can do there on the gulf. There are some great port towns. You do need to be careful of depths as the bayside of the islands can be quite shallow in areas.

THere are a LOT of lakes in Texas, and most have some kind of sailing club on them, as well. Hope you like it here. (I'm up in the Dallas area). Sailing in the gulf is one of my goals before striking out for the keys. I've always wanted to sail from Port Aransas to the St. Jo Island, aka "the North Jetty" -- it's a small island off the tip of Port A, and a motor ferry ride will take you there and back for $10 pp. There is NOTHING on the island -- pit toilets, and is great for beachcombing. THe library in town has a small museum with artifacts found there after storms and hurricanes. THere are things from as far away as the S. Pacific that ended up there!

Kemah has a lot of sailing activity, and a great board walk, Corpus has a nice yacht club, but I think it's pretty spartan from there to the S Padre.

Good luck.

Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Mr Bill

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 9857

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, Tx
11/14/2005 6:00 AM Pacific Time

RC

We live in Clear Lake and sail the lake and Galveston bay quite often. There are plenty of slips here at reasonable rates and there are a few dry storage lots with boat lauches. Although the water here is not clear and blue you can count on the wind and you can sail year round. There isn't a month when without some days in the high 70s or lo 80s. I will be glad to furnish detail information if you are interested in our area.

Bill Fuqua
Aaron Budzinski
Toledo, Ohio

Boat Name: Albondiga

Model/Year: 1972 catalina 22

Hull No. 1300

Hailing Port: Ottawa River
07/05/2007 11:56 AM Pacific Time

Bill, is there a clear shot out to the bay from clear lake? I am moving there in september, and noticed a highway that runs through. Is the bridge high enough for clearance?
Mitch Kronowit
Mission Viejo, CA

Boat Name: Paulina

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. #12276

Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
07/05/2007 12:42 PM Pacific Time

Hey Aaron,

I replied to your other post with details about Clear Lake and the creek connecting to Galvestion Bay. Check it out!!!

--Mitch.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Texas Sailing