Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Vinyl Glazing Channel Question

Author Vinyl Glazing Channel Question
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Boat Name: Intrepid

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 741

Hailing Port: Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes
06/25/2004 2:31 PM Pacific Time

I have purchased the glazing channel for my 1981 C22 but it is one long piece of vinyl. Does it need to be cut to size with the end meeting OR should it overlap somewhat? How does this need to be done? The instructions do not explain this point and 2 calls to the free support line have not yielded a live person. Thanks in advance!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/26/2004 8:03 AM Pacific Time

Bobby - A friend of mine redid his windows not too long ago. I asked him your question and here is his reply.

"I put mine around the window and cut it to size. If anything it stretches a little as you install it."

Hope that helps.
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Boat Name: Intrepid

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 741

Hailing Port: Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes
07/01/2004 8:30 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Dick, I appreciate the info and it does help. I'm dreading this project but the wind will die for summer soon...
Bill Hurni
Hendersonville, NC

Boat Name: Wingin' it

Model/Year: 1990 CP26

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Keowee Sailing Club
07/03/2005 3:02 PM Pacific Time

Bobby - I also redid my windows a couple of years ago. The vinyl channel must be cut to fit but cut it just a little longer than it looks like it needs to be - maybe 1/8 inch or so. It seems to draw up when you install the window back in its frame. Also, make sure you use the recommended caulking between the window and the vinyl, to make sure it won't leak. Good luck.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 11:09 AM Pacific Time

I cut mine 3 to 6 in short and streched it. The cuts I made were near a 45 so to increase the surface area of the mateing surfaces of the seal. Like I have said in some of the other posts the CD kit is well worth the money!
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
09/05/2011 7:54 AM Pacific Time

I have a question about the window frames. I keep reading about frame halves, but mine has one joint in it and I find it extremely difficult to insert the glass with gasket in this frame. Do most frames come in two pieces, joined by plates? Do I need to cut mine where it is in two pieces?
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/07/2011 10:21 AM Pacific Time

The halves are the inside frame and outside frame.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
09/07/2011 5:46 PM Pacific Time

Chuck: the inside aluminum 'frame' is a one piece extrusion with only one 'joint' in it. held to the outer aluminum frame (with the glass in it) by about 15 screws. remove the screws and carefully lift the inner extrusion off from the inside. now carefully push the outer extrusion out of the cutout in the cabin top. it is held in with a butyl rubber gasket/sealer and may be pretty well stuck down. DO NOT PRY it out with a screwdriver or pry bar.
Once the outer frame is out and separate from the cabin top, you can inspect the aluminum extrusion with the glass inside. there should be two halves, joined wth small aluminum plates held in place with a couple small screws. the joints are fore/aft in about the middle of the front and back of the extrusion.
yes it is HARD to get the glass back in the groove with new weatherstripping and get a good seal etc. it takes patience.
when you get the windows remounted in the frames and you are ready to stick the frame w/ glass back into the cabin top, go to the local RV Store and get some window sealer. it comes in a roll/ flat strip about 1" wide and 1/8" thick. roll has maybe 10' on it. Around Michigan the roll is only $8-$10 and you can do all 4 windows. works great to seal the extrusion to the side of the cabin top.
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
09/08/2011 4:08 AM Pacific Time

Mike, my outer frame is one piece, with one plate of aluminum holding it closed. I had noticed on Chip Fords site that his was in two pieces and I was wondering if he had cut his to make it easier to reinstall the glass. I really find it very difficult to slide the glass, with the vinyl glazing, into one end of the frame and not tear the vinyl.
Hans Schweikert
Perkiomenville, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/ 1981

Hull No. 10197

Hailing Port: Lake Nockamixon
02/13/2014 12:58 PM Pacific Time

I cut the gasket slightly short, so that when it's on the glass, it is slightly stretched tight. Otherwise you're going to end up with a 'bunched up' area like Chip Ford had on his website the first time around. Anyway, after determining the right length that would give me a bit of tightness, I removed it from the glass and glued the two ends together using crazy glue. Other glue may work also. After waiting an hour (out of an abundance of caution) for what's now a loop to dry, I stretched it around the glass and proceeded with the rest of the job. The first window will be the hardest. I was glad I checked how much of the Dow sealant I had left BEFORE starting to fill in the last aluminum frames, because CD's kit was way short. Had to order another tube.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Vinyl Glazing Channel Question