Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Full Main Battens

Author Full Main Battens

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Grapevine, TX
07/03/2004 11:19 PM Pacific Time

Are the full main battens on a C-22 supposed to stick out of the front of the pockets a couple of inches?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/04/2004 6:38 AM Pacific Time

By "in front of the pockets", I assume that you mean the back edge of the sail? I couple of inches is too much. Make sure that the battens slide into the reinforced end of the pocket fully. Sometimes the thicker fabric jams the batten. If you are sure that the batten is fully inserted, I'd cut them off flush, or maybe 1/4" long. Anything longer can catch on topping lifts, reef lines, lazy jacks, or the backstay.
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
05/09/2005 8:53 PM Pacific Time

If you are referring to the full batten main offered by Catalina Direct, as seen on this site, the answer is yes.

I just bent on this very sail.

One pushes the battens (end without cap) through the leech and then exit the pockets at the luff for a few inches where they then enter and stop in the slot of a plastic piece on the luff that also holds a slug. The opening of the batten pocket at the luff permits the batten to enter the slot in the plastic piece.

You then apply some tension with the leech flap and close everything up via instructions with the supplied batten insert tool.

A very pleasing rugged design and quite a bargain for a sail that only costs about $620.

This sail has other features that are truly remarkable for a sail at this price, such as webbing attachments for the slugs that allow the sail to drop in alternating folds making sail folding on the boom a much easier task. The description on this site barley does this sail justice.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/10/2005 6:48 AM Pacific Time

I crewed for a friend who had just bought one and was racing with it for the first time. On Saturday the wind was up to 12-15+ so he opined that he would not push the battens in all the way, so that the sail would be flatter and not so powerful. It was light on Sunday so he pushed the battens in all the way to force them to bend athe luff for more power. I liked the telltales on the leach, it was easy to tell if you were over sheeting it. We sailed against Gene Ferguson and a Greg who had one of the new C22's, he won all three on Saturday, but we were close in two races, the third one was a disaster, missed a mark, then the head stay lost the pin and it was hanging on the jib bolt rope. Don't know what happened Sunday, it was light and they didn't need the extra crew. But I think I will try one when I need a new main, I thought it worked great. And it will come off easily for storage or for trailing to other lakes, which I do regularly.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
05/11/2005 4:45 AM Pacific Time

I have been thinking about getting a new main for my 1986 C-22.
Is the full battened main with a loose foot better than the conventional main, on all counts? Does the conventional main offer any benfits? Is there any reason you would want to have both?

I sail in the Long Island Sound.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/11/2005 6:59 AM Pacific Time

Peter,
I was advised by Doyle Sails that loose footed is more for racing and bolt rope for cruising. Also, according to them,
2+2 configuration is preferable, top 2 full, bottom 2 partial.
I got my new sails from them but didn't have a chance to try them out yet. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
05/14/2005 6:21 AM Pacific Time

Peter:

Full battens are primarily for sail durability rather than performance. As my previous sail, which was a standard Catalina 22 main, was tired after about only about five seasons, I opted for the full battens to gain some sail life. I still have this sail that is yours free. Yes free. All we have to do is figure out where I can meet you to give it to you.

Nevertheless, I have test fitted the CD full batten sail and have found the huge roach seriously runs into the backstay. I did this test in practically no wind with my boat on my trailer. For the moment corrective action is to lower the boom about seven inches from its class height of three feet six inches above the mast step. I think yours is three feet three inches as you have a later boat. However, I think when sailing in sufficient wind the sail will belly up enough so I can raise the boom bak to class height.

I sure would like to know what Al Gearing experiences were in this matter.

Loose footed, I think, is definitely the way to go. Adjusting my outhaul is now easier, no bolt rope friction, faster, and when loose really provides shape to the sail.

Because of the roach hitting the backstay issues, I am hesitant to make an opinion about the CD full batten main. I think that having just the two upper battens full with two partial lower battens is wiser. I think CD may offer their sail in this configuration.

If you are interested in looking at this sail, you could just drive over to Grass Island in Greenwich. I’m in the same SBC Western Fairfield County phone book that you probably are. Obviously, I am the only Bayard Gross listed in Greenwich. If you find another, it’s an imposter.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/15/2005 8:35 AM Pacific Time

Well, I'm not going to just drive over to Greenwich from Fort Worth, but, my friend Dave's sail did hit the backstay, but a regular non-full batten main will do the same, and we simply put a bit of tension on the fang. That was the first time that I have ever sailed with a full battened sail, but the Dave had had one on his Skipjack and was one of the reasons for his buying it. He wound up 4 out 6 boats in the regatta, but that was the first time he had sailed in while and the boats ahead of him were regular regatta circuit sailors, and it was only by boat lenghts and a few mistakes that he missed third place well ahead of 5th and 6th. So all in all I think I will buy one when the time comes.
Al Ge
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/15/2005 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Today, I tried my new main from Doyle and ran into same issue of hitting the backstay with upper section of the sail.
My boat is still on the trailer so it was the right time to experiment. To fix the problem I lowered my boom as low as I could without removing some hardware on the mast.
Then, I worked with shrouds and backstay to achive enough mast rake. Also, noticed that my upper battens were not inserted all the way. I think tention on boomvang helps too. At the end I was able to move the main back and forth without hitting the backstay. I just don't know how comfortably I can sail with my boom that low. I can't wait to try it on the water. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/16/2005 5:25 AM Pacific Time

Artur - By lowering the boom your are overriding one of the safety features built into the boat. I am six one and have had the boom graze the top of my head more than once. The boom is set up high for a reason.

I would rather see you have to deal with the roach of the main hitting the backstay, than the concussion you might receive with the boom hitting the side of your head.

Pleaes move the goose neck of the boom back up to its design height.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Full Main Battens