Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Wire to All-line Halyards

Author Wire to All-line Halyards
Lee

Boat Name: Midnight Oil

Model/Year: c22sk 1978

Hull No. 8186

Hailing Port:
07/05/2004 9:17 AM Pacific Time

I bought the CD kit to run my lines aft. The kit will replace my old wire halyards with all-line halyards. The problem is the new sheaves are awful wide; they are proving difficult to install in the mast head fitting. There seems not enough room for the sheaves and the divider (I have external halyards with two forward and two aft sheaves). Anybody familiar with this problem and its solution?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/06/2004 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Lee- My first call would be to Catalina Direct. The sheaves provided in the kit supposedly specially made to fit into the existing mast head. Secondly, I would determine, how much too wide the new sheaves are. If it possible that a little filing on the mast head will solve the problem.

Lastly, I would use the existing sheaves in the mast head. That is the approach I took when I converted to 1/4 inch all rope halyards. It causes a little wear on the outer cover of the halyards (the jub especially), but I simply cut off the worn part and retied the bowline in the jib halyard shackle.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
07/06/2004 3:01 PM Pacific Time

Ireplaced my wire hallards with all rope hal;yards last summer. I did not use the sheeves sent with the kit. I had already replaced my sheevs with brass shortly after I purchaed the boat.

When I replaced the opriginal sheevs with the brass sheeves I found them wider than the original sheeves. I also found that there were two divider plates in the mast head. When I removed one of the two divider plates the brass sheeves fit just fine.

You indicated you only saw one divider plate. Have you dissasembled the masthead? If not, you may find two divider plates like I did.

David
Trevin Mehrer
Elk River, MN

Boat Name: R.E.M.N.S.

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 621

Hailing Port: Walker, MN
01/18/2006 7:06 PM Pacific Time

I purchased a c30 last year and want to replace the wire to line halyards with all line halyards. Do I need to replace the sheeves (pully's) at the top of mast in order to use the larger diameter line? If so, where can I purchase them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T.M.
Walker, MN
Carlos
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Perfect Time

Model/Year: Catalina 22' - 1971

Hull No. 474

Hailing Port:
02/04/2006 2:18 PM Pacific Time

Lee, how did you resolve with the new sheaves and the old divider? I have the same room situation.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
02/04/2006 4:48 PM Pacific Time

when I replaced my halyards to all line halyards last summer, I also found the sheaves were too wide. Also there was only 1 divider in the masthead. I first tired to sand the sheaves down on each side but that didn't help. I took a file to te inside of the masthead. I found that only one of the sheaves fit tighter than the other. Feeling with my finger, I was able to identify places where the masthead was rubbing the sheave and concentrated the filing on those places. I guess it took about an hour to file enough material away for the sheaves to turn freely.
Carlos
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Perfect Time

Model/Year: Catalina 22' - 1971

Hull No. 474

Hailing Port:
02/07/2006 1:49 PM Pacific Time

Ok, I did the work. Since was Sunday and no machine shop available, I took a grinder machine and reduced the wide of the divider in the masthead. It took several hours but the sheaves fit excellent.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Wire to All-line Halyards