Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Housing

Author Swing Keel Housing
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Boat Name: LeeWay

Model/Year: C22 1976

Hull No. 6029

Hailing Port: Perry Yacht Club
07/05/2004 8:53 PM Pacific Time

I have inspected and am considering buying a 1976 C22 SK that is in dry dock on a trailer. It has some water in the blige near a small crack by the keel cable exit. The owner thought the keel may have been cranked up too hard and cracked the housing. If it is cracked I assume the keel would have to be removed and the housing/hull repaired. How hard is this to repair? Should I be worried about integrity of the hull? Any information you could provide would be great. Thanks.
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
07/06/2004 3:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi,I bought a c22sk last spring and the main concern is always what is below.The selling point was the fact the keel had the overhaul kit newly installed and the trunk was inspected.Basically if it's a fiberglass repair there's nothing a good yard can't handle.I nearly learned the hard way.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/06/2004 6:03 AM Pacific Time

Steve L. If the hull is cracked, it can be repaired. However, there are loads of Catalina 22s out there. Move on to one that doesn't have a crack.
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Hull No. 6029

07/06/2004 10:17 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Steve and Dick. I live in Kansas and there aren't that many C22's available. This one look to be in very good shape besides this problem. The owners are selling it for $3000 and only other one available appears to be in worse shape and that one is selling for $4900.

I know there are lots of C22s in Texas, but I am weighing the travel/transport costs against something local that might be easily fixed bya good yard. I have to have the bottom sanded and painted. They could repair the SK trunk when they have it up.

Steve, did you say there is a kit for this repair? If so, where?
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
07/08/2004 4:11 AM Pacific Time

The kit I mentioned is not a repair it an upgrade kit for the whole swing keel assembly.Winch,cable,bushing,etc..avalable from cat. direct.Anyone with a c22 should have a c22 handbook.It's a bible and no I'm not a salesman.
Also,there is a lot of chat about the keels as there should be,I was leery about it but growing ok with it as I sail more.
Lock down or don't lock down,both are valid in different situations.I never plan to have a chute up in big wind,I can get home before bad stuff builds.I didn't install the lock down bolt,I sealed it up,which leaked and water was jetting in when sailing nicely,pulled the boat out and had a pro yard fiberglass the whole area professionally.
Been great sailing since,especially since my crew is finally assured we are not sinking every time we leave the mooring.
Jim Johnstone
Austin, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Travis, TX
07/08/2004 8:27 PM Pacific Time

Steve Lee - I have a 1981 Catalina 22 for sale because I am ready to move up to a larger boat. I race my boat and it is well maintained and has all the upgrades you need for racing.

1981 Hull # 10448, Pop top, New Shrouds 2001
New Main 2002
New Genoa 2003
Jib & Spinnaker
Trailer (2 Wheel with Extended tounge & Spare Tire)
Inboard Jib Tracks
Whisker pole and Spinnaker pole
Rigged for Spinnaker
Adjustable Backstay
6:1 Outhaul
Vang
Halyards led aft
New Winches and Cheek blocks for cross sheeting
Reinforced Chain plates
Solar Battery Charger and regulator
Anchor, chain and line, plus all safety equipment
Compass and Knotmeter
Interior is in excellent condition
Watertight with sound deck and hull
Bottom Job and keel faired in 2003. New keel cable.
8 HP Johnson 2 stroke outboard
Assorted Spares, Sail and tiller cover, etc.

Just jump in and start sailing!

Price is $4995 in Austin, Tx

[email protected]
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Hull No. 6029

07/09/2004 4:48 AM Pacific Time

Jim, Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of your boat? What is the condition of the trailer? What is the tongue weight? How large a vehicle do you need to pull it 700 miles?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/09/2004 5:40 AM Pacific Time

Jim, sorry to hear you're moving up, was hoping to sail against you if and when I get mine in the water.

Steve, even a mini-van will pull it up to Kansas, but you will have drive slower, 45-50 mph, than if you have a bigger car, like a Crown Victoria or full sized van. I've pulled Cat-22's with both.
Jim has pulled his all over too, so drive down an buy it, don't worry, it is a great boat and a good buy.
Al Ge
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
07/09/2004 6:18 AM Pacific Time

Jim,

Sorry to hear you are moving up. I think you are priced too low, you have that much in upgrades. Best of luck on the bigger boat.

PS - I have won 2 First place finish races with Jims old sails, no telling what or how fast one can go with this boat.

_B
Jim Johnstone
Austin, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Travis, TX
07/09/2004 9:21 PM Pacific Time

You all can still sail against me, unless Steve is in a big hurry, Maybe he will even come toAustin and Sail with me in the Gov cup. You can sail against us both.

I know the price is low for those of you who have priced out all the upgrades and a good basic hull and trailer. I do have more than this invested in the boat but I really enjoyed putting all those things on and feel like I have gotten some value out of them so I am only asking what I think is fair to make a quick sale.

Steve - I sent you some pictures - tomorrow I will take more detailed ones and post them on a web site so all can see.

Jim

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Housing