Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Hand Rails

Author Hand Rails
Stephen Brown
Chandler, AZ

Boat Name: "Mama T"

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1974

Hull No. 3300

Hailing Port: Arizona
07/09/2004 12:15 PM Pacific Time

Bought new hand rails to install on my '74 which didn't have them. Installed the first one with #10 2 1/2" screws from underneath but can't get the rail flush with the deck. Anyone have experience installing handrails they would like to share?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/09/2004 4:00 PM Pacific Time

I haven't installed handrails, but have some experience with carpentry. It sounds like you are trying to attach a flat surface to a curved surface. I'd start by using a drum sanding attachment on the bottom of the handrail to make the surface concave. Then reattach the handrail to see how close a fit it is. If you find that the middle screws draw the handrail tight, but the end ones are floating in air, make the middle ones shorter by the amount of space that the ends have from the deck. Once you have a reasonable fit, make sure you bed the rail with compound to keep the water out of the cabintop.

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Hand Rails